Sunday 18 July 2010

Carrots

All the polytunnel carrots are now safely harvested in and tucked up in the freezer, some sliced and some left whole.
~
A trayful of sliced carrots ready to be open frozen.
All were blanched briefly, and then cooled rapidly before open freezing. I find this the best way as then the frozen veggies are free flowing, you just have to remember to give them a shake after about an hour or they will weld themselves to your tray, plastic trays are better really as they have a bit of flexibility.
~
The only carrots left on the farm now are the three lots in the tyres outside the back door. These are a lot smaller than the polytunnel ones were, so will probably be harvested next month.
I'm going to have a go at planting some more to see if I can get a late crop in.
Sue xx

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, you are so industrious! I have a couple of spare tyres (other than the ones round my middle ;-)) - great idea to grow carrots in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to see how your frozen carrots do

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.