Saturday 10 July 2010

Harvesting and Freezing

Today I am mainly harvesting - Spinach!!
I have pulled up all the Spinach from the polytunnel, it needs too much water to be kept in there any longer, but it has been the loveliest crop. Once I had steamed and frozen that, I started on the outdoor raised bed. This is Perpetual Spinach so just the outer leaves can be plucked from the plant and the rest left to grow.
#
We now have lots of little 'tablets' of spinach tucked away in the depths of the new big freezer. Once the 'tablets' are frozen I just tip them into icecream tubs and label them. The beauty of freezing any wettish crop this way is that you can just get out the amount you need for any specific occasion. Wetter crops cannot be open frozen the way you can peas or carrots for example. This should keep us going through the winter, in the meantime we will continue picking fresh from the plants as and when we need it. And another freezing session can be arranged if it goes rampant again!
#
Oh well......back to the harvesting.......!
#
Sue xx

4 comments:

  1. I would love to know how to go about freezing spinach Sue as we have more than we can eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad youve said that sue, i couldnt figure out why the contents of my ice cube trays ended up as a soft fuzzy mess when id spent hours cooking and freezing when i was weaning my girls with brocolli spinich etc...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooooooooo impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.