Monday 12 July 2010

Kale

Today I am mainly harvesting - Kale.
#
Although the picture shows Toby sat up asleep in the sun, guarding the Spinach bed!
#
To freeze these type of leafy vegetables for use at a later date simply remove the tough stalks, tear the leaves into manageable sized pieces and lightly steam for just a couple of minutes. Then press into a suitable sized moulds for your future usage and then open freeze. As soon as they are frozen tip into poly bags or boxes and label and keep in the freezer.
#
By putting into quite small moulds, (mine are cake moulds) you can remove as little or as much as you need. For example I would take out just one block to add to a quiche, or three or four to use as a main accompaniment for a meal.
#
A lovely little recipe for using Kale (our favourite at the moment).
Put a good handful of Kale leaves (remove tough stalks), to steam over a pan of cooking pasta. While this is happening chop some garlic and add it, and a sprinkle of chilli flakes to a pan with some good olive oil, when the Kale is cooked after about 5-6 mins, chop quite finely and add to the pan with garlic. Throw in a handful of grated parmesan cheese and about a cupful of cream. Drain your pasta and add to your Kale mixture. After a good stir together serve in warm dishes with an extra sprinkle of parmesan.
#
The aroma in the kitchen and the taste is simply gorgeous........ you can just tell it's full of goodness.
#
Sue xx

6 comments:

  1. I have a confession: I don't like Kale.
    I could happily exist on a diet of fruit and veg- the more the merrier. But kale n me...it just doesn't happen!
    What's next? :))
    have a good week
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, Kale is something I rarely cook, though I'm not sure why. Toby looks pretty comfortable sitting/sleeping there though! Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe sounds lovely: I adore kale.

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok...with that recipe of garlic, cream, parmesan and chilli, ANYTHING would taste delicious!
    I'll try it like that, thankyou for printing the recipe!
    xx
    ps Henny says thankyou for following her blog...actually...she likes kale, and she ADORES cooked pasta; I could leave out the chilli and cook it for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ted and bunny......okay I admit any veggies taste good with garlic, cream, parmesan and chilli!! My hens love Kale too, they are queuing up at the fence now waiting for the trimmings.

    Next will be the carrots!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.