Tuesday 11 December 2012

Venison for Christmas?



Now if you know me at all you will know straight away that the title of this post is not for real.  Well this gorgeous little creature will not be ending up on our table for sure, even if he has been eating his way through all the shrubs in the garden area at the back of the house.

Him and his little friends have even been nibbling at my veggie garden at the front of the house, cheeky little things.



But to my mind a hungry animal is just that something that needs feeding, and if they are brave enough to risk coming this close to the house they really must be hungry, so although I don't encourage them too close to the house on purpose because we do have dogs, and Rosy can catch these lovely creatures if they get tangled up on their escape from the garden, I do give them five minutes nibbling time if I spot them out there, then I knock on the back door before I open it to let the dogs out, to give them a head start back to the woods. 

Anyone visiting would think I'm daft, knocking on the door on the inside to go out into the garden!!


A final glance and then it was off for this handsome little chap, and for once no dogs on his tail as they were fast asleep in their beds after a frosty walk first thing this morning.

Sue xx

11 comments:

  1. That is the smallest deer I have ever seen!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Muntjac.

      They are about the size of a large dog, our Border Collie Sophie was around the same height as them. We had them at our last place too, only there they had to vie for food with the larger Roe deer that also roamed in the area.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  2. They are gorgeous aren't they?

    We have the Roes, but I've only seen them twice. More often we just hear them, crashing about through the woods. They are welcome to stay if they keep their distance. But if they get brave enough they can be very destructive in the garden (I've seen some evidence of bark nibbling). Muntjacs too I'm sure - watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fortunate enough to see them most days on my way home from work, they stroll round a small village visiting gardens. The good fortune is that they are not in our village, but i do have a hedgehog, toads, a robin and a wild hen pheasant who now lives in a long shallow compost bin, I left the lid up by mistake overnight and she moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little creatures are munk jack dear and are not native to this country. They were introduced from Japan, I think, and are now regarded
    as much as vermin over here. They bread like rabbits and have two litters a year. That`s why we tend to see more of them now than our native dear. Of course they prefer the delicious sweet and tender things that grow in our gardens rather than tuff grasses and harder vegetation out in the woods. They wouldn`t starve if they couldn`t get to your gardens. They are cute to look at but are a bit of a pest now and again. If you can spare what`s left in your garden you will have a constent eye candy in these little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we bought venison burgers at our butchers for 25p each...very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a brilliant price for Venison burgers.

      I usually have to pay a lot more, Lovely Hubby absolutely loves them and they work out much cheaper than buying venison steaks and can be used exactly the same way, in casseroles, stews sandwiches etc, as I'm sure you know Froogs.

      Trust you to see a little cutey like the one in the picture and think of bargain burgers... lol!!

      Sue xx

      Delete
  7. He is so cute. I just want to give him a big cuddle though that probably wouldn't go down too well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just have rabbits that breed like rabbits! Hopefully one day we will have a dog to scare them off, they like to eat the best things in the garden! Cheers Judy xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.