Wednesday 2 September 2009

Strange but peaceful morning.....

The house is quiet, the animals have all eaten their breakfasts, the chickens are fed but not out of their runs yet, Lovely Hubby is at work and Jason is snoring gently in his bed, (seemingly you need a lot of energy build up to prepare for Uni!!).
# Toby has vanished back to the Barn, Archie is curled up in his cat bed, Sophie is lying at my feet softly snoring and making little chasing rabbit noises and little Rosy....she is in the picture at the top of the page, spilling out of her bed by the Aga (she pulls the little cushion over her like a duvet), she seems to like the feel of the warm tiles near the Aga, every now and then she puts her head right against it, how she can stand the heat for as long as she does I have no idea, maybe she is teething.
#
Me, I'm on my second coffee and chilling nicely at the computer, catching up on some of the glorious blogs that are on my Blog List.
#
There is a real sense of Autumn in the air today, the sky is grey, and apart from the swooping of the Red Kites and the flypast of the Buzzard there is little activity here on the farm, even the chickens are quiet, usually there is an array of noises, ranging from Cappachinos mock crow to the soft chirruping of the Welsummers.
#
The chickens are all tucking themselves into bed earlier and earlier these days, last night they were waiting to be locked in at 8.15pm and this morning didn't get up until 7.15am, so short days. Days that I try to fill with tasty treats and companionship, they are truly lovely ladies, running to greet me incessantly, I need only go out of eyeshot for a minute and they are still pleased to see me when I come back into view.
#
They follow like little lost sheep, eager to see what I'm up to, although since LH's last manure pick up from the stables they are frequenting the muck heap for hours. They looked completely different yesterday with their snowy white bodies and jet black legs from wading through the manure.
#
Our days are long and busy at the moment doing all the planning for our next challenge. The orchard fencing is nearly complete, LH has been busy digging holes for the huge gate posts and adding 2 runs of barbed wire to the top and bottom of the stock wire. Our Pig Arks are due to be delivered either late this week or early next, we spoke to a pig supplier last night and seemingly we should be able to have our New Girls sooner than we thought.
#
So after this lovely quiet start to the day I have to get on, still sorting for Jason's return to Uni and catching up on weeding in the Polytunnel (what happens when you pick radishes for tea one day and leave them on the worktop in the PT by mistake - you get dried up flat, dessicated radishes that's what!!).
#
Have a good day.
#
Sue xx

2 comments:

  1. It looks all bliss there Sue, seems winter is upon us here, eck, I'm thinking I'm needing to order logs soon....where did summer go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,

    Sounds like you are having a well needed peaceful half hour :-)

    That picture of your dog is so cute! I reckon she has the right idea, curling up next to the aga now it's started to get a bit colder! Maybe that's why the chickens are in the muck heap too? I remember it always being hot on there when I used to work at the stables.

    Looking forward to seeing your piggies when they arrive :-)

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.