Monday 20 May 2013

Rosemary Oil

 
 
I promised I would take some photos of what I was up to next with my Rosemary at the end of yesterday's post, so here they are. 
 
I have this lovely oil bottle that sits next to the cooker for use in so many things, it came with posh oil in and cost me a pretty penny but I have refilled it over and over and now I feel I have had more than my moneys worth.  It holds half a litre, so half of a one litre bottle, which of course always leaves me with half a bottle tucked in the cupboard for the next refill, but this time I thought I would do something different with that leftover half litre.
 
 
Luckily I had an empty half litre bottle in the cupboard so I simply filled it with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I always buy it when it is on offer and get as many bottles as I can afford) and popped in a washed and dried sprig of fresh Rosemary straight from the garden.
 
 
It looks and smells lovely ...
 
 
 
... and looks even better in the natural daylight. 
 
But for now it is back in the cupboard sat in the dark while the lovely taste and scent of the Rosemary infuses with the oil.  Another way of doing this is to gently simmer a sprig of Rosemary in the oil for a few minutes and then cool and pour into the bottle, putting a fresh sprig in the oil for aesthetic purposes and to identify the oil.  Either way a really handy flavoured oil to use in cooking or for salad dressing or simply to dunk chunks of homemade bread into as a lovely starter.  
 
So next time I make Mediterranean Vegetables I will have my flavoured oil ready, now I'm wondering if I should make up some Chilli Oil to expand my repertoire even further, after all I have lots of Chilli Flakes in the storecupboard.
 
Sue xx
 

 

5 comments:

  1. I don't have much luck with oils - whatever I put into them, seems to go off and go horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely idea im going to give it ago.Did you make your own chilli flakes if so how did you do it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds a wonderful idea, thanks. I am now enthused to immediately give it a go:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby would love this as he loves dunking my bread in oil so looks like I will have to also give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely. I have recently dried some rosemary from a bush on the campsite that was being cut down. (Not sure why though, we still have a living one that I can use) but wanted to store some for the winter months when we are not here. You are so creative with your foody stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.