Sunday 23 October 2011

Scone Mix



After yesterdays post there was lots of emails as well as the comments on the Blog about how I make MY mix of Scone mix when I'm not using the Approved Foods big bag that I recently acquired.  Well the recipe is simple, one I learnt at school when there used to be 'Domestic Science' lessons, when children used to be taught how to cook and not just the science behind manufactured foods that my poor sons had to sit through when it was their turn to go through the education system (sorry jumping off my soap box now...).  I've used it all my life and it usually works.


8oz/225g SR Flour
pinch of salt
2oz/50g butter/margerine
1oz/25g caster sugar

Simply rub in the butter/margerine into the flour/salt until it looks like breadcrumbs and then stir in the sugar.  Pour in enough milk/buttermilk or similar to make it into a reasonably firm dough and either roll out briefly or just pat into shape. 

A way of making this even cheaper is to add a tablespoon of dried milk powder to the dry mix and then you can make your scones up with water instead of milk.

The less you handle this mix the better your scones will rise.  Never twist your cutters if using them to make round scones or that will make them rise unevenly. When I'm in a rush I simply make it into a large circle with my hands and then cut this into four.

When we had visitors recently picking up some of our pig arcs, the young boys that came with their Dad had a quarter of one of my 'circles' each and went home to their Mum raving about 'the pig ladys giant scones', she emailed me for details and now they are very happy little boys!!

Of course I usually make much bigger quantities than this at one sitting, whizzing it all together in my food processer and then put the tub full of dry mix straight into the freezer, this way you can make a batch of scones or a pizza base at the drop of a hat.  It is also an ideal way of using up butter/margerine that is nearing (or past) it's use by date.  Once frozen you can keep it indefinitely, if you think you may have trouble getting a rise add a teaspoonful of baking powder to the mix before you pour in the milk.




Of course you don't have to use it for Scones, use it for crumble topping, simply add some oats and maybe some extra brown sugar.



Or use your basic scone mix to make a pizza base...





...or two... if you fancy different toppings.

Make mini Scones to pop on top of casseroles instead of dumplings, they taste delicious and the bottoms absorb some of the gravy in a very yummy way.

Vary your flavours too, either add some grated cheese, or herbs, or fruit for sweet scones just into your basic dry mix before adding the water or milk.

As usual my most important instructions are play with your food, have fun and enjoy!!

Sue xx

7 comments:

  1. I have never used a scone mix before but I think I will give it a try now. I have also never thought of using a scone base as a pizza base, what a great idea certainly quicker than a yeast based base. Thank you for the ideas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, you have such great ideas.

    We used a value pizza and pepped it up just like you suggested and it was great!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the inspiration. I have a stew on now with dumplings, will try and make scones for them next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the recipe.

    Gill in Canada

    http://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That all looks good. I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I was looking for - a nice simple no-faffing recipe. Can't wait to have a bash - thank you Sue!, rgds gardengirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those scones look lovely.
    Kirsty Allsop was making scones on her programme on channel 4 last week and they looked nice too. I havent made them in ages but fancy making some now and enough to put in the freezer. Great blog by the way.

    frugal freesia

    http://frugalfreesiahandmadeandhomemade.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.