Thursday 27 August 2009

Chickens and mites...................

I'd just thought I'd do a quick post to update you on our infestation problem.
A HUGE thanks to all of you who have commented and emailed me with advice and information.
A special thanks must go to Sarah at Landcuckoo http://landcuckoo.blogspot.com/ (a brilliant blog, call by and pay her a visit) who has been a fantastic help. Seemingly Red Mite are everywhere at the moment, so I am not alone. Advice from people who have had, and dealt with the problem is always so refreshingly easy to follow, sometimes no matter how much information you read you just need a fellow chicken keeper to get you on the right track.
#
The chicken houses have been thoroughly emptied cleaned out and disinfected today and Red Mite Powder has been liberally put down all week, the Diatom and Poultry Shield is winging its way to us as I type and we seem to be on top of things. With the new chicken house arriving next week I want to try and keep on top of this. The new house will be sprayed and dusted before we put the girls in and the old house is to be their wet weather perching station for the winter ahead. This house also has their dust bathing area underneath so it will be staying in its current position under the trees.
Our heads aren't where you think they are, we always walk this close together...!
Again on behalf of my girls,
the White Stars - Molly, Cappachino, Latte, Little Lovely, Jemima, Mother, Big Lovely, Milly and Mona,
and the Welsummers - Coco, Fudge, Bourneville and Nutmeg,
thank you to all you lovely Bloggers out there who took the time to comment and help.
Today now we are all cleaned up, the work continues on the fencing around the orchard with Lovely Hubby and Jason manfully knocking fence posts in (well with the help of the tractor and its fence post knocker-inner (it must have a real name but I do not know it!!).
I'm having a final mad sort out ready for a Bank Holiday weekend of Car Boots and de-cluttering. Roll on those empty cupboards and clear corners. I'm also cleaning up a lovely old pew that I bought at my last Bric a Brac market, it was straight out of storage in a barn so you can imagine the cobwebs and ancient yuk that coated it!
Have a brilliant Bank Holiday weekend (it will be our last one til Christmas!!)
Sue xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,

    I have been so busy lately, I must have somehow missed your last post!

    I had chickens as a kid and don't remember having this problem? Although it may have been a problem that my parents dealt with that I never found out about!

    I hope you get it sorted soon, and have a fabulous long weekend :-)

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.