Saturday 2 January 2016

Leftovers .... and The Sealed Pot


Leftovers are brilliant, in fact I think I find more pleasure in making a meal or a treat out for us out of leftovers than I ever could browsing the aisles of the supermarkets for the former or the latter, and of course the post-Christmas fridge is veritable treasure trove of things to choose from.

The bananas were languishing on the worktop, they are the only fruit I don't put in the fridge .... poor lonely things!!


I knew there was half a tub of cream in the fridge and a tin of caramel in the cupboard .... 


... so it just had to be Lovely Hubby's favourite dessert in the whole wide world - Banoffee Pie.  It looked a bit plain as it was and of course we had  ...


... leftover Quality Street!!

Damn Tesco and their last minute reduction of the must have Christmassy sweets to two tubs for £6 ... I succumbed.


A quick grating later and it looked much more appealing, and we did really well and rationed it out over the last few days, a total of eight portions ..... good leftovers :-)

*** *** ***


And talking of leftovers, using things up and saving money my new blog 'A Year Without ...' went live yesterday.  Starting off with a film clip of the opening of the Sealed Pot, which netted us a grand  total of £328.71 which is my housekeeping money for 2016.

The blog will follow my progress as I manage with this, bolstering it up with vouchers, coupons and Nectar points, and of course home grown foods from all the free seeds I collected this year.  It will also chart our attempt to live for a whole year without buying any books or clothes or a lot of other things which we are adding to the list as and when we think of them.  

This is going to be my only Challenge during this coming year.  We have to focus long and hard on saving all the money we can and hopefully daily blogging about it will keep me accountable to myself.

Use the link to nip over and have a look if you would like to.

Sue xx


24 comments:

  1. It's good to have a challenge. The pud looks nice. Happy New Year. Have I said that already, can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thrill of creating a meal from leftovers! Lol!! Sadly I didn't have the Christmas leftovers this year as we ate at OH's house. I know he threw the turkey carcass out (sob!) but I wasn't well enough to think about food at that point.

    I've added your new blog to my list so I can keep up to date with your challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you and your family all the best for 2016. I've added your new blog to my reading list, I think I will get a lot of inspiration to save a lot of money (I'm saving as much as possible for a new car and some home improvement. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banoffee pie too. But I don't make it that often as it is so dangerously delicious.
    I'll now be popping over to your other blog. xxx...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year and good luck with your year without challenge (for which read rather you than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you and I'm looking forward to following your challenge. I was good and walked past the half price mince pies in the Coop today. Also picked up lots of orange sticker items and offers (bread flour 3 for 2 was one offer). Came home and made a huge pot of home made soup which should give me a week of lunches, a home made loaf and stitched a couple of holes in a jumper. Also scrubbed and washed son's trainers rather than buy a new pair; they came up like new. So, off to good frugal start and will be following your challenge for inspiration this year. Thanks for a year of lovely blogging x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been lurking in the background following your blog for some time in an ap that didn't let me comment but I've decided to show myself and follow your blog properly now. I'm looking forward to following your challenge too.
    Happy New Year
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum......banoffee pie.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with your shopping. It will be very interesting......as all of your challenges have been. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buying no clothes or books for a year will be tough! Is it going to be for only one year, or is this a permanent arrangement? (Visions of homespun fabric here!!)And are second-hand clothes and books (e.g. from Charity shops) allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just for the one year, but hopefully will get us more into the mindset of much fewer and more thought out purchases of everything in the future.

      No, secondhand things, from charity shops etc are also off the agenda.

      Delete
  10. I'm just going over for a quick nip!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with that Sue - look forward to reading of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year and good luck with the challenge. The 'no books' would be very hard for me. They are my biggest weakness, and I have to admit that I own probably 2,000 and have no need to buy any more! LH, looking over my shoulder, says at least 3,000! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWesome stuff. Must be very pennywise myself now! My silver money box netted me £49, my coppers one £13. Paid for a lot of presents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. :-)

      It soon adds up doesn't it.

      Delete
  14. I wish you well with your challenge! Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing challenge. Have you read the book by the Australuan woman who lived a year without spending? It is a brilliant book and much research was done about food and intensive farming including animal farming. I have the book if you want details etc , worth a read. Good luck .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have. It will be one to add to my wish list for next year if you give me the details :-). Thanks xx

      Delete
  16. Oooh a new blog, new focus, fantastic. Thank you for all your inspiration.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went over to follow the other blog, :)
    You did very well with the challenge.
    The pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to have to Google Banoffee Pie now. But first I'm off to visit "A Year Without". Happy New Year to you and LH.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck with your challenge! I look forward to reading the new blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. £350 in my sealed pot!!! Am well pleased!! I was planning to buy an Overlocker, but Father Christmas beat me to it!!! So think I will get a Fitbit (if it is easy to work!!) or a pedometer!!! The rest will go in the Building Society!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, look forward to following the new challenge. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.