Friday 10 January 2014

The New Blog

 
The new Blog is really keeping me on track, making me stop for a moment and re-think everything to do with food. 
 
 
When you have little or no money to actually spend on food you don't waste a single thing. 
 
Earlier when rolling out slightly thinner the pastry in the pack above,  which has been languishing in the freezer for I don't know how long, I did my usual thing of putting all the tiny trimmings, and there really weren't many, straight into the bowl to take out to the chickens later.   I quickly pulled myself up short. 
 
 Luckily the bowl was clean so I fished them back out squidged them together in my fingers and rolled the little ball of dough out flat, taking a large pinch of grated cheese I pulled the pastry up around it and then re-rolled so the cheese was trapped in the middle, then cutting out with one of my smallest biscuit cutters I managed to make five of the cutest little savoury biscuits you ever did see.
 
A quick brush over with a trace of milk and a sprinkle of Paprika and sesame seeds and I had a perfect little snack for later .... unfortunately the chickens missed out on their favourite little treat!!
 
I've put a link in the right hand sidebar to get you (and me) over there quicker.
 
Sue xx

14 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me! I usually do something similar with my pastry scraps rather than put them in the food recycling bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always re-used all but the tiniest scraps and made a couple of jam tarts or something but now even the tiniest scraps are going to be used.

      Our food recycling is done via the chickens or dogs or as a last resort the compost bin. I think all three are going to have a lot less in them from the kitchen this year :-)

      Delete
  2. I found myself cooking extra pasta just for the chooks- not too bad when its "supermarket own" but this was waitrose wholewheat, so I stopped myself pdq!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waitrose wholewheat .... lucky chooks!!

      Mine won't be getting much pasta this year .....shhhh ... I've not told them yet!!

      Delete
  3. I can definitely relate to this! Nothing had been wasted so far this year, I used broccoli stalks and celery hearts to make a very delicious soup recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to make jam tarts with any left over pastry too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are we like! ... still .. its got to be done. And its all come full circle .. it is only what our Grandparents had to do in their time... I remember my Grandmother rinsing milk bottles out with the tiniest amount of water and adding to the pudding to use every drop of the milk.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waste not want not should be most people,s mantra, it was always on the tip of my Grannies tongue. as far as I can remember, the only thing in the garden that didn't get eaten were the leaves off the rhubarb and parsnips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the left over bits of dried fruit and nuts in the chocolates I made for gifts this Christmas. My aim this week is to use up the jar of pesto and the halloumi cheese and I should be making some marmalade with the oranges that never got turned into pommanders! Your biscuits sound really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Canada! I've been reading your blog for awhile and thought it was time I said "hi". I really enjoy your posts and following your journey has been so interesting. I especially enjoyed your post about Mavis (love the name!) and shared it with my 82 year old mom. We're were just talking about Mavis the other day and wondering how she was doing.

    I'm also on a journey to live more simply and frugally.. I just blogged about using up what I had and not wasting anything as well. It's a good feeling isn't it? :o)

    Sandra
    tea and simplicity

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a good point you make really, I bet all the little bits and bobs we throw away add up to a lot over the course of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a young 'un ( many years ago!) at home, my mam always rolled out the last bits of pastry along with any bits and pieces and trimmings to about 1/4 - 1/2 " thick and pop the resultant bit of pastry in the oven with whatever she was baking. When it came out it was split and buttered and presented to my dad - he called it his "bit of ned cake". He'd have been very disappointed if his ned cake was not forthcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fab idea - one I will remember!
    I love love love your new blog - I've actually linked to it in todays post too x
    Stacey at mfj

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.