Tuesday 8 March 2011

Before and After

Most definitely - before. ~
White Lovely Hubby was doing the mucking out of all the pig arks on Sunday I concentrated on getting the first of the Kitchen Garden raised beds weeded and turned over.
~
Still before - the beans that had dried on the netting provided me with lots of seeds for planting this year.
~
The chickens had spent the week rooting around eating the bugs (and I hope not too many of my worms), and clearing the surface weeds, but the deeper rooted ones needed pulling up and disposing of.
~

...and then after.

It can be a boring job, but when it's broken up by helping to relocate pigs to different pens and putting errant chickens back over their fence to keep them safe from Mr Fox, the time goes by very quickly and when you step back and see the outcome of your labours it's all worthwhile. ~

Before. ~

After.
~
The framework you can see in the picture is my Cucumber Slant. The plants curl their way up and this leaves the cucumbers held off the soil, which stops bugs from eating them and because they're not resting on the ground they don't rot, also the sun can get at them better. I pinched this idea from Alys Fowler last year and it worked a treat. Of course LH's version of the frame was a super duper one!! ~
Thank goodness I didn't get carried away and plant anything though as we have had two very hard frosts over the last two nights and they would have been a goner!! I've now covered both the two end beds with thick polythene to help warm up the soil. Hopefully in a couple of weeks the plants from the polytunnel can be planted outside and then we are on our way to eating our own again.
~
Ah well, that's three beds done, only another eleven to go......I'm going to be busy over the next few days!!
~
Sue xx

4 comments:

  1. Well done, great job. I hate doing the weeding of the veg beds when it first needs doing after a rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you your veg plots as we have little room for those here. However I don't envy you the weeding! You look as though you have made a great start and deserve to stand back and be proud of your achievement..not for long though as you need to crack on with the rest. Best of luck. I am sure you will be well rewarded for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I moan about the housework! I think after a day at your farm I would need to sit down for the week. My Dad's family came from farming stock in Yorkshire. The hard work ethic hasn't come so far down the genes obviously. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a job ! you've made a great start

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.