Monday 10 March 2014

A Little Bit More Pattern

 
We decided when we moved here to continue with our white theme, with all walls and woodwork, except the doors, being painted white.  It's a pretty light house and this simple 'non-colour' scheme helps bounce the light around even more.  But after living with our 'blank canvas' for a while we spotted places where a splash of colour and pattern would be very welcome.
 
 
The chimney breast in the living room was a case in point.
 
The pattern in this room was all on the curtains and once we were sat down for the evening, either with a good book or to watch television in front of the roaring wood burner everything in front of us was white even though behind us was a glorious riot of our favourite colours.

 
So a couple of hours work and one more £1 roll of wallpaper later and we now have a lovely splash of colour and pattern that is very like the curtains, but just different enough to compliment them nicely.
 
I have one more wallpapering plan up my sleeves ..... or maybe two I can't quite make up my mind :-)
 
Sue xx


25 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and a little pattern can do wonders for transforming a room.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that looks a lot better. I imagine looking at the fire or tv and viewing an all white wall, was probably similar to viewing them with a bright light in your eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue I'm sure I have that paper in my hall, only mine is in a red colour way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Definitely warm up the room and makes it look cosy. I would say it was a £1 well spent! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Would look good on the cover of Country Living magazine LOL!
    Not that I buy it , but often take a peek in the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, goes so well with the paint colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All white can be quite soulless. I agree, a room needs some pops of colour to make it feel cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would of thought I liked the white better. But after seeing the before and after I really like the wall paper better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. where do you buy wallpaper for £1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just before we moved house our local Reading branch of Homebase was closing down and I managed to get a half price radiator cover (that we used in the kitchen) and 3 rolls of wallpaper for £1. They sold ALL the wallpapers they had in stock for £1 each during the last week, people were like locusts stripping the shop bare :-(

      Delete
  10. Love the area of pattern - just enough.

    I saw a shed today by a stream & it looked like your shade of green - then I realised it wasn't paint it was nature at work & rather lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fireplace look gorgeous, so cosy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks lovely bringing the outside in so to speak. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That fire place and its surrounding look stunning. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it and the flying pigs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks good, a lot better than plain white. I love the kettle on your stove.. I might just have to get myself one for mine :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't actually make drinks with the water in it but there is always enough to wash the pots with when the stove is on :-)

      Delete
  16. FRANK HAS BEEN FOUND ...HE'S ON HIS WAY HOME XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :-) Isn't it fantastic, I was only speaking to Phil the other day and he was so, so down, but now it's all been worth it.

      Fantastic news.

      Delete
  17. Great news about Frank!

    Glad to see someone else using up egg boxes for starting the fire - we put a few wine corks in ours and it really helps get the fire going.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.