Monday 31 March 2014

Where Were We ....?

 
We've just had a really good weekend off. 
 
No work except the very basics of cleaning out the chickens and gathering in eggs and wood for the fire.  Apart from that and a few doggie walks we took the weekend to ourselves.
 
 
We set out with a longed for destination in mind and the journey was wonderful.

 
Just us and the open roads ....

 
... and hundreds of mountain bikers whizzing down the hills.  There was a big event going on and it was amazing to see the bikers on the long trails.

 
We drove past slate quarries and heaps behind walls along the roadside.

 
And when we arrived it was to find a 'No Parking' sign being eaten by a tree.

 
The first glimpse of a vista beyond.

 
The sign told us exactly where we were .....


... and Lovely Hubby wasn't really as puzzled as he looked :-)
 
 
There was lots to see .....

 
... including many beautiful views.
 
And we had a lovely lunch before heading off to the shops in nearby Porthmadog for a coffee and a mooch around.
 
Do you know where we were?
 
We were HERE.
 
Sue xx
 

17 comments:

  1. Yes! Been there several times, it's certainly an interesting place. I don't remember watching The Prisoner (I was only a child when it was on tv), but the village is still an experience for those who know nothing about that programme. It has the feel of being in another country, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes been there several times. I also spent the first 14 years of my life going annually for a June holiday at 'Black Rock Sands' and visiting friends in the foothills of Snowdon, so have fond memories of Porthmadog too. We always broke our journey there for a fish and chip lunch before going on to the caravan site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there many happy times. We went on holiday to Porthmadog every year when I was little, I have very very fond memories of that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see that place...helicopter in and a weekend at the hotel?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Portmerrion is lovely, I haven't been for about five year. We were talking about making a couple of trips to Porthmadog over the summer just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the sort of place I'd enjoy, but a bit remote from West Cumbria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to visit, looks gorgeous. And I 'just' remember The Prisoner!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Portmerion, been several times over the years. We have been going to that area of Wales for the last 34 years, firstly staying at Llanystumdwy and then at a farm in Criccieth. We have certainly seen some changes over the years and still a favourite place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We wanted to go when we were camping with our 3 children many years ago - Couldn't afford to go in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't been to Portmeirion for many years but it was magical, I still remember that. My daughter was involved in an Eistedfodd in N. Wales, so we spent the afternoon exploring P/M. I remember the Prisoner - sadly, yes, I AM that old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to go to Portmeirion a lot. The kids used to like the "boat" built alongside the jetty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this area, happy memories of my own childhood hols and those of my own children!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah we were there a couple of years back. Lovely. You must go to Harlech Beach!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been there but been past.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.