Saturday 30 July 2016

The Garlic Harvest Is In ... and Strung


Last weekend I pulled up all the garlic that I have grown this year in the net tunnel, I left it overnight with some of the soil still attached to dry slightly, then the next day I cleaned it up properly and left it nicely spread out on the workbench to dry in the warmth of the polytunnel.

A couple of days later and it is now lovely and dry, so I've just trimmed it ready for stringing .... now I just have to get on with the stringing.

Edited to add  ....


It's a bit messy while you're doing it ....


... but a lot of stringing and a few snips and it looks quite good, even if I do say so myself.


And it's now hanging on the back of the kitchen door with the tail end of last years crop.  
This seems to be a good place for it looking at last years which is still perfectly fine.

Vampires be warned .... we are now fully stocked with garlic ;-)


Sue xx

12 comments:

  1. That is an amazing harvest. We don't have much luck with garlic but we did get a nice crop of onions this year. Our tomatoes are slow coming in but we have a rogue chicken getting into the garden and pecking at the ones that are turning red. She better watch out or she might end up in a pot( Ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, those look lovely, I paid 30p for one small bulb this morning :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great harvest!!!
    I love all with garlic inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There isn't anything better than homegrown garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post prompted me to finally tie up my hardneck garlic and make pretty bundles (thank you, it's been a long time coming). Looks like you have quite a harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! We have a herb class in the flower show but you need 4
    I am thinking of having a garlic class next year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've emailed you with my entry list. 15 and that's your lot!!

      It's funny I.ve never thought of garlic as a herb, more of an onion!! Now I'm confused.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful ! And it's a French girl speaking !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't be so impressed with my onions .... oh la la ;-)

      Delete
  8. You're quite the professional with the stringing. I wouldn't know where to start.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed it looked so good when I've finished, it's one of those things I only get to practice twice a year, once for the onions and once for the garlic, so it's always a bit hit and miss. I also have lots of loose garlic that I need to find a way to preserve.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.