Friday 8 July 2016

In the Net Tunnel in July



The Net Tunnel in July is a lovely place to work in.  

The over-Wintered things have mostly been eaten,  by us I hasten to add not any pests.  I have just pulled up the last of the onions and I did have them drying in the sunshine ... until the rain came, now they are over in the polytunnel drying off in the heat.


Down the centre of the tunnel I have the Blueberry bushes which are cropping very heavily this year, and hopefully, as the birds can't get in to pinch them, we will get to eat most of them for a change.  In the left hand bed I have a Butternut Squash plant (a trial for this year, with an identical one being in the polytunnel), the Cauliflowers, the Peas and the Lavenders and Borage.


And in the beds on the right hand side are Carrots, Beetroot, and Purple Sprouting Broccoli.


Looking at the same bed from the other end of the tunnel you can see the Tomato plants at the back, with the Cabbages in front and the Garlic is closest to us in this photo, which is lying down and just about ready to be harvested.


Looking at the other side from this end you can see the Pea supports a bit better, and closer to us in this photo are some of the Leeks that went to seed, I decided that as they wanted to go to seed to let some of them remain so I could harvest the seeds for using next year ... and I love all Allium flower heads so they will look lovely when they open.


At the moment resting on the bed that the onions came out of, are the young Lavender plants and some spare Cucumber plants waiting to be added to the sales box when there's some more space.

So that's it ... that's what the Net Tunnel looks like right now.  

It's lovely to work in there with the netting shading me slightly from the sun, although it's little protection from any sudden showers.  Most of the plants love it as much as I do in there, and Mr and Mrs Bunny have yet to find a way in thank goodness.  I do make sure that I open the doors for a while when I'm working in there or in the polytunnel to let beneficial insects in (and out).

And did you notice we now have a lovely thick layer of bark chippings on the floor, so no more kneeling down getting muddy knees   :-)

Sue xx

8 comments:

  1. Sue, I think you should be justly proud of all the hard work that you have put into this - it looks so professional and how good it must be to go out and get something for lunch or tea and know you have grown it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is lovely. How many hours a day do you spend in the tunnels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On average I'd say about one in the poly and half in the net. But it really varies. A potting on session for instance can take me up to two hours.

      And watering in the polytunnel takes a good half hour every night on top of that.

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous of anyone's tunnels and nets. I might eventually have a really big garden and be able to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks amazing in there! Hot too I shouldn't wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too bad in the net tunnel, but in can reach 40 degrees in the polytunnel ..... then I evacuate 😉

      Delete
  5. I always love to see what other people are growing. Think of how incredibly healthy it is for you to eat what you have grown and you know exactly what has or has not been used on it. Wonderful! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful space in which to work. Heaven.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.