Tuesday 26 July 2016

Eggs .... and a Right Royal Hoo Ha


When we went away the other weekend the eggs that the chickens laid were obviously left in the egg boxes all day, meaning they were walked on by the hens over and over, moved around and generally kept at varying temperatures as we had three broodies at the time.  So we don't sell any of these eggs.  Usually when I am here I go over to the henhouse at least three times during each day, to collect eggs and check on the chickens.


When the eggs have been left for a day or more like this, we bring them into the house and we give them a wash to clean them up a bit  (something you shouldn't do unless absolutely necessary with eggs that you sell) this also enables us to have a good look at them all for cracks or chips.  Then I put them in a bowl for us to use over the next couple of weeks.  Well we've just used the last one, I thought it would be interesting to see how we used them so I kept a bit of paper and made perfunctory notes each time we took some out of the bowl.

It turned out over the last three weeks we have had:  2 hard boiled, 12 fried, 4 scrambled, 3 soft boiled and 3 were fed back to the chickens scrambled, as one of them had a slimy bit in it ... and this is the reason we wouldn't want to sell them.  Better for us to find that than someone who has paid for the eggs.


And what's the right royal hoo ha I hear you asking ... well yesterday someone from the Linda McCartney Facebook page put this picture on with the innocent words:

 ' Scrambled, poached or fried - we just can’t decide! What are you having for breakfast this#MeatFreeMonday#InspiredByLinda '

It caused a real storm with readers saying that if Linda had been alive she would be a vegan by now, how dare they support the egg industry and include eggs in their products etc etc.  Now this would have been no problem but as the day progressed things just got nastier and nastier.  I bet whoever it was in the Linda McCartney offices that put this up is keeping a very low profile today!!

And yes, I was there in the thread answering queries, putting some folk right on their ridiculous claims and generally trying to tell it like it is.  I don't eat eggs bought from shops anymore, and few bought in items that contain eggs (with of course the exception of my mayonnaise habit), but I would not dream of attacking anyone who does either verbally or in print.  I know that most vegans are very good, caring and compassionate people but the few who start spouting outright lies to get a point across get the rest a very bad name.

Sue xx

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how nasty and vindictive some folks can be about the eating habits of others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People just seem to be getting more nasty and vile all the time now - thank goodness it doesn't happen here (or at least I hope it doesn't Sue). I blame the fact that somehow being anonymous means they get to forego all sense of decency. Not sure what the answer is - perhaps we should all have to post our photos.
    I'm not a Vegan and frankly, I find it an odd choice - BUT - it's their choice. I have friends who are vegetarian and friends who are vegan - I am an omnivore. We don't always agree but at least we can converse (and yes, sometimes argue) but in a polite and respectful manner so that hopefully we can all learn from each other.
    I love seeing all the different colours of your eggs - and I eat a lot of eggs and don't think I could ever give them up. I ate my first duck eggs in a lovely scramble last week so I'll be looking to add those to my meals going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, respect goes out the door and the nasties come in when you don't have to look a person in the eye.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just read through most of that. Why are people always looking for a fight. Fed up with all the nastiness that goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social media always attracts 'soap box' cronies. Give people information/knowledge and let them decide for themselves. I would love to keep my own chickens but Its not practical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean. I had a bit of a run in with a "Level 10" vegan the other day, I'm not vegan enough because I bought something from a particular shop. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if that's some of us are going back to blogging - both writing and reading - there seems so much less of that nastiness around. Maybe because it's a more considered medium? X

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.