Saturday 6 February 2016

More Free Seeds


I only posted here the other day about my subscription magazine arriving and the free seeds attached to it ... and of course my free elastic band.    And now look .... deja vu ... just a different magazine, my new Christmas present subscription.  This time there are £9.95 worth of free seeds, four different kinds of Tomato seeds and one pack of Basil seeds 

... AND another free elastic band!!

My seeds tin is now bulging at the seams with enough seeds to last us for another few years.  I am carefully putting the 'use by' date on the front of each pack before filing them away in the tin, not that I stick to these but I do try to use them in date order whenever possible.

One things for sure we won't be short of tomatoes this year, as long as the sun comes out and growing conditions improve.  Although it's hard to imagine the sun ever coming out again at the moment, we have had virtually non stop rain for months now, it's depressing, demoralising and downright dangerous.  Lovely Hubby has slipped in the mud quite a few times in the last few weeks, meaning lots of loads of washing and a few aches and pains .... not to mention a cracked rib ... ouch!!

Google Image

The only reason I haven't gone over is that I mince about the place as though I'm walking on ice, it's the only way to get around Chicken World and some other parts of the fields, it makes things safer but must look very funny to the people driving past.  Oh well better to be a laughing stock than up to my thigh in plaster!!

Sue xx

13 comments:

  1. Lucky you with all those seeds! Will you be able to sell the tomato plants themselves at your front gate? I guess what ever you feel will be the greater reward to you. I agree with you with the rotten wet weather. Although in our neck of the woods (Lincolnshire) we haven't had as much rain as some folk, but it IS depressing. I hope LH is being careful and not slipping over, as it certainly isn't funny breaking anything. As I've found out, as you get older you don't bounce as easily as you did when you were younger! :-( Just to let you know, I've tried your 2 carrot recipe (I used 4, plus a potato) and it was lovely. Need to adapt recipe to my taste, but for a first time, I was really pleased with it. I've never been able to make a decent soup, but I live in hope with this recipe. Thanks Sue! Have a good weekend (even if it is wet). CMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll most like plant quite a few extra tomato plants and other vegetables and sell the surplus at a car boot sale or two. We are not really allowed to sell at the gate being on an A road, and part of our planning consent for the polytunnel stipulated no commercial sales at our property.

      I'm glad you tried out the carrot recipe and it was a success. Any roasted veg makes for a lovely rich tasting soup :-)

      Delete
  2. My hubby slipped on Christmas morning and cracked a rib. He's just starting to feel a bit better but he's had to work through it anyway. He dropped a sack of presents as well in the fall and smashed a couple of presents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll need loads of rubber bands to keep the lid on your seed-tin! BTW, I see that one of the tomato varieties you got is Tigerella, which is a really great tomato - spectacular markings, but very nice taste too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our chicken run is getting quite smelly due to all this mud - any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrape off some of the surface layer, add it to your compost heap if you've got one or put at the base of trees in the garden. Then tip in and spread out a couple of bags of bark chippings, hard wood ones are best and last longest but any will do to freshen it up and make a good surface for the chooks :-)

      Delete
  5. Us too, the seed box is groaning with the weight, if we grow them all I will need to have a market stall on the main road!!

    I have planted some basil though, its on the kitchen window cill in a pot covered with a poly bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great tomatoes there. We haven't had it too bad in Essex but I'm fed up with the cold fine drizzle we had this week. Sunshine tomorrow...apparently!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that magazine subscription is worth it's weight in seeds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totter out to feed the birds in our garden, then slip and slide back in again. I've never known such a soggy winter, where are the clear crisp days that are so cold they make you gasp as you breathe in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope hubby is on the mend, a cracked rib is very painful. X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great seeds again I actually sowed a few yesterday in the greenhouse hopefully they will come up. Its the same here Sue, the mud is terrible and flooding everywhere infact on Saturday my greenhouse was flooded. Storm Imogen is here at present and she can fly off again as quickly as she came its blowing and raining a gail and sounds like theres a party of ghosts in the chimneys and around the outside of the house. Hope your husband's rib mends quickly, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely seeds for you and glad you have not fallen in the mud. I am stocking up on seeds too, zinnias and sweet peas at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.