Thursday 11 February 2016

Cinema - Dad's Army

Image result for dads army film

Last weekend we went to the pictures to watch the new 'Dad's Army' film.  Lovely Hubby was in stitches for lots of it and came out of the cinema with a great big grin on his face.

It's a real slice of good old fashioned comedy with a pretty reasonable story-line thrown in for good measure.  If you want a couple of hours of light relief from all the doom and gloom of the world news at the moment I would highly recommend it.

Oh,  and whatever you do do not be one of the many that jump out of their seats and make a mad dash for the doors as soon as the ending credits start to roll.  I don't know why so many folk do that ... I used to be one of them, until one day I was stuck behind a lot of 'late sitters' and was forced to remain until the credits had nearly finished only, very surprisingly to see more of the film we had been watching come back on suddenly and the end of the story changed completely ... now I stay in my seat. 

Image result for dads army film

So stay in your seats as the credits roll for this one, because a couple of minutes into them the 'blooper reel' starts, and then the cast spontaneously burst into singing the Dad's Army theme song in the back of Mr Jones's butcher's van.  The people in the process of leaving the cinema all stood stock still on the steps and in the aisle, and people still near their seats sat  back down again,  a small spontaneous round of applause broke out as it really ended ... such was the feel good factor of hearing that rousing song.

Sue xx

Pictures both from Google Images


16 comments:

  1. Pleased you both enjoyed the film. We went to see it on Saturday and I'll be honest we actually walked out mid way through. We are both huge fans of the original TV series and still watch it regularly (I'd say almost weekly). I just couldn't get to grips with other actors playing the part and felt that a lot of the scenes were copied from the original, for us it just didn't sit right. I will however watch it when it comes out of Netflix, I always find films reach me differently depending where I'm watching them x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the homage to the original that we both enjoyed. The lines lifted straight from favourite episodes slipped in almost unnoticed that made for happy reminisces, Jones saying 'Handy hups' for example.

      It's a shame you missed the 'action' ending and the rounding together of the story, but we all have different tastes.

      Delete
  2. My favourite moment of the old Dad's Army TV series... The German officer asks Pte.Pike "Vat is your name?" Capt. Mainwaring: "Don't tell him, Pike!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A golden line indeed :-)

      It's one of the few 'all times great lines' that is not included. I guess it is so unique to the series and memorable for being such.

      Delete
  3. It's true rest for me to watch such kind of comedy. I'm totally agree with you about relief :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I want to see anyone else playing the roles made so famous by the original actors!
    They reached absolute perfection and I don't want anything to spoil that for me, so I don't think I'll bother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote about this film a couple of weeks ago and still haven't seen it. But it is definitely on my list of must-dos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - but this review has made me want to see it even more!!

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds good. Perhaps I will be a late Valentine treat for us next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched this film on Monday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first blog review I read was a thumbs down and now you are giving it a thumbs up. I'd really like to go and see it now in order to make my own opinion. I've seen every episode of Dad's Army again on You Tube and have laughed through all of them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you both enjoyed it, we have plans to watch it soon & I am determined to enjoy it. I dearly love the old series xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a great time, it sounds like a lot of fun!! Happy Valentines! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it does you good to look back at this time last year - it makes you realise just how much has been achieved.
    We intend to go and see Dad's Army as soon as it arrives around here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sue for letting us know your view and especially re the outtakes at the end. I enjoyed it - brilliant cast and lets face it will never be as good as original but so nice to not have huge amounts of the "F" word and violence. The outtakes were hilarious esp the phone going off. Ali xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.