Tuesday 23 February 2016

The Whole30


I'm currently reading this book.

 I've had it on the kitchen shelf for a while but decided to save reading it until after our usual, although slighter than previous years, Christmas excess and my wander back into eating foods I should know by now are not good for me.  I have noticed that once you fall back into old eating habits it is a hard slippery climb back to get yourself eating properly and healthily again, and of course we have had to eat up all the bad things that were lurking in the cupboards ... haven't we!!  ;-)

I was just wondering if anyone out there has read this book and done the 30 day programme and if it worked for them?  


I am thinking of doing it myself as a kick start to getting me back to good habits, healthier eating, and even more importantly to me feeling good.  It seems very Harcombe like and that suits me.   So I have put a big ring around the 1st March on the calendar as it seemed a really good time to start.  The first of March is on a Tuesday so the Monday would be my day zero, a chance to menu plan, examine all the foods we have in store that would be suitable, and thank goodness, there is a lot in the freezer and cupboards that will be, but possibly more importantly this week I am going to see what we have in that might tempt me back to the 'dark side'  ... I don't think there's too much.  We don't buy processed junk foods, sugary drinks or cakes, but I do know there are a few things that I like that are really classed as processed food so it would make sense to add them to this weeks menu plan and thereby remove them from temptation for the coming month.


I have just printed out and gone through the pescetarian/vegetarian/vegan shopping list and there is such an abundance of food that I can eat and that we do already have in store that it should be no problem to do this even with our current 'Year of Without'.  The things I have crossed out with my marker pen were just things that I don't like or can't eat due to allergies.

If you would like more information on The Whole30 click HERE.  I haven't read much of this yet but it looks interesting.

Sue xx

13 comments:

  1. Cor, you really enjoy a challenge, don't you! I have never seen this plan but will watch with interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this really the Atkins diet in disguise? Love your blog and your way of life, but this sounds a bit unhealthy to me, never happy about blocking out whole food groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about as far away from the Atkins diet as it's possible to get. I did Atkins when it first came out and successfully lost over a stone in a month, that was when I was still a meat eater.

      This is a 30 day exclusion way of eating, not aimed at weight loss but aimed at working out intolerances and getting rid of cravings to things you shouldn't eat. Exactly what I need at the moment as I've been eating far too much of things I shouldn't, mainly wheat and dairy. Once you start eating things you're intolerant too it's hard to break the habit again.

      Delete
  3. A couple of other bloggers I follow ( about simple living and minimalism) have done it and swear by it. Good luck. I know I couldnt do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing W30 at the moment - today is Day 9. It's my second attempt, my first attempt foundered at Day 21 when i succumbed to some cheese. It's hard to resist cheese. Dairy is the hardest thing for me, being a milk-fed Kiwi raised on cream and lovely New Zealand butter. Everything else is a breeze but I will never get used to black coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough last night I was reading the bit in the book that says Day 21 is a common day for it all to go to pot ..... I'll have to watch out for that. Black coffee is exactly how I drink it usually so I should be okay there, but butter could be my downfall ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yay Judith ( a fellow kiwi). I used to drink my coffee white with 2 sugars and gradually Ive managed to get it to black with none. Totally agree with both you ladies about butter tho( and cheese for me).

      Delete
  5. I've had a read and think it's more like torture. I haven't got the stomach for it, ha ha. Good luck to anyone who wants to try it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of the Whole 30 before. I do prefer to focus on fresh produce rather than processed foods with lengthy lists of ingredients, but think I'd struggle without carbs, beans or dairy in any form. I try to go with "everything in moderation", rather than cutting out entire food groups. Good luck with the programme, will look forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only cut out the food groups for the 30 days and then start re-introducing them one by one to see what causes a reaction. As I'm not supposed to eat wheat or dairy due to being really intolerant to them anyway, hopefully it will help get me back on track.

      Delete
  7. I went on the whole 1500 diet in my late fifties; of course there's no such thing - it's really just the standard, healthy way to eat (1500 calories a day) and included walking 10,000 steps a day. It took me 3 years to lose 51 lbs., but because it took so long I became accustomed to counting calories without thinking and completely changed my way of eating. 2 1/2 years later the weight is still off - not one pound re-gained and I still count every calorie I eat allowing myself somewhere between 1500 and 1800 calories each day.

    In the beginning I ate whatever I wanted up to 1500 calories and then I stopped eating for the day. In a few weeks, as the weight started to SLOWLY come off and I began to tweak things here and there focusing more on healthy foods, a regular eating schedule, drinking a minimum of 2 quarts of water a day. By the time I reached my goal three YEARS later (and I know that sounds like a long time, but you're going to be three years older anyway - why not be 51 pounds lighter by then???) I was eating a very healthy, mostly plant based diet, never decreased my walking (even to this day), switched to all organic food (you save a lot of money not eating animals or their by-products so I spend what I save on food grown without petroleum chemicals)and feel pretty darn great!

    The moral of the story is that nothing is fast and easy - two watchwords I've grown to dislike! I would encourage everyone to do the 1500 and walk everyday and see how great you feel. And be prepared for it to take a while. It's so worth it. D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure Danielle who writes the blog "Against all grains" just completed a round of whole 30, she does eat meat but you may still find some meals you can adapt. I like the idea of this plan but suspect I mostly eat this way already as like you I have a gluten and dairy intolerance and I try very hard to not eat very much sugar or processed foods.
    I hope you find the plan useful, I've heard it's a great way to reset your eating habits. Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this info, I'll look out her blog. I like to really look into things ... have you guessed ... haha, so this will be another way of learning more. Thanks again. xx

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.