Wednesday 17 February 2016

Over in Chicken World Today


Chicken World is looking a bit grey and dreary at the moment, it's the time of year, but at least yesterday is was less slippery underfoot, so I took the chance to fill up feeders and drinkers and generally have a good check around things.

The top photo shows the Rainy Day Shelter, designed by me and built by Lovely Hubby, it made good use of lots of parts of the old henhouse.  You can see at the righthand side a large bowl, this catches rainwater off the roof and means the chickens have always got fresh water to drink.


Every day during the wet weather ... which would be since last October then, I have thrown a handful or two of the mornings corn ration into the shelter to keep it dry while they eat it and to encourage the birds to make good use of the shelter.


But typically .... like children when you buy them a big toy and they prefer to play in the box ... the chickens prefer to shelter under the rest of the old henhouse which is still leaning against the fence!!


Of course whenever I am in Chicken World for any length of time I have company other than the chickens,  Ginger is often on the prowl in there and likes to check what I'm up to.  He's no threat to the chickens and they are well used to him being around.


If I'm pottering around there are always those who sit silently keeping an eye on me ... this is Daisy, the Lavender Pekin bantam and Harriet, the Light Sussex.


While Titch, the Black Maran bantam helps herself to a drink of water from the water butt that is always full ... despite not being connected to any guttering .... that's how much rain we get!


Someone thinks I've spent far too long taking photos and we should be getting back to the house.  Rosy comes in every day to see what titbits I'm throwing down for the chickens, if it's anything faintly edible in her eyes, she joins in with them at the trough until all the tastiest bits are gone.

It would appear Chicken World is not just for chickens  :-)

Sue xx

16 comments:

  1. It is typical of chickens to make use of something that was not really meant for them. My 2 chickens have 2 drinkers of clean water in their coup and run, but they much prefer to drink from the mud puddles in the garden! I have found they also love company (and not just the chicken variety). They are very good "gardeners" and do everything with me and they don't bat an eye about our cats, seemingly to enjoy their company as well. It's lovely when different species can interact so well. So I am really not surprised that "Chicken World" is not just for chickens! Kind regards, Louise S, Cheshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first thought that the white chicken in the first shot was actually a big lump of gypsum. Twerp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sue. I wonder if the wind blows into the shelter and they just found what ever gives the best cover? My mums cat did that. she had an old dog house to go in as she wouldnt use the cat flap. she would be found wedging herself behind the wheel barrow. the wind went into the dog house straight off the sea. it was not to her liking until they pointed it 90 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos :) Happy hens, cats and dogs in Chicken World! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our hens burst out of the chicken hut the second the pop-hole is opened and rush across to the field. They just don;t seem to notice the rain and they lay every day so what more can we wish for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You spoil those girls.....mine wander into the churchyard and sit underneath a tomb stone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you seen the news pieces on the 9000 organic free rangers looking for a home. Not that i'm suggesting you expand 'chicken world' to 'chicken universe' at all. I've booked 4 of the flock for disposal but they are still struggling to home many of them. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 3rd photo made me chuckle, funny girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ours do just the same! Can't throw food down for them though, we'd be overrun by pigeons!

    May I ask where you got your dog beds from, I DO like them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post and lovely photos.. and Rosy's little face says it all :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There really is no accounting for animals is there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The water bowl is a fantastic idea, when we make a new shelter I think I'll steal that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Th girls may prefer the lean-to against the fence if it's blocking the prevailing wind. They look like they're holding a secret meeting. Like the farmer said in the movie Chicken Run, "Them chickin's is oop to soomthin'." Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love some chickens - but we have so many foxes here.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. My permaculture chook dome has long stopped being moveable, but I still like how it's wide base and open cover at the bottom allows my chooks plenty of space, light and air on a rainy day. Having said that, they prefer the piece of curved roof tin that I popped in there one rainy day when I'd introduced a couple of newbies and wanted them to have shelter while the older girls got over bossing them, and of course it became the instant new favorite. We call it their gazebo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.