Sunday 12 July 2015

An Angel Died


Angel died this weekend  :-(  

She was looking sad and forlorn for a few days earlier in the week and then rallied a bit in the glorious sunshine we have been having.  But a chicken knows when her time has come and she gradually wound down again in a calm and peaceful way. She spent a lot of time by the Eglu with her best friend, this is where she lived for her first couple of weeks with us and I found it quite touching that she seemed to want to be back there.


The One and Angel stood together as they did for a couple of days, before Angel decided to go indoors.  Her last two days were spent in the cosiness of a nesting box, with visits from all the layers as they came to lay their eggs each day.  While The One mooched about outside pining for her friend before she had even gone.

Angel was one of our last real character chickens, she was our 'twice rescued' bird and all the more special for it.  She came to us on my birthday two years ago and her initial story was told HERE with a follow on about her progress HERE.

But I think one of my favourite posts about her was HERE when she starred with Rosy and Ginger on a light hearted blog post.

I'm sad to see Chicken World without her, it's somehow not quite the same ....


... but the chicks are now big enough to be allowed to mingle with the others, under the very watchful eye of Mother Goose their Mum, who really has a go at any chicken who dares to come near her very special little babies, so there is a lot of  light heartedness going on as they learn to live in the big wide world.



RIP Angel, thank you for spending the last years of your life with us.

Sue xx


25 comments:

  1. Awww- "Rest in Peace, Angel." Sending a hug, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue... such a shame that your chick-chick died. It's been about 3 years since I last kept chickens and I always cried when one passed away. They may have 'only' been ex-battery chickens, but they each had real character, laid lovely eggs and had a good life with us. I do miss keeping them, but as we are (hopefully) about to adopt another German Shepherd, think it's not going to happen until we know the new dog has settled.

    RIP Angel. xx

    CMW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny things hens......i have never known an animal so prone to illness, cancers and infections
    Apart from turkeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. our one chicken Freida seems to be on the way out too. Not sure why, but she is off by herself now for the last week or so. very sad, she is quite the character and will come when called.

    ReplyDelete
  5. R.I.P. Angel. xxx She must have had a happy life with you, Sue.
    Kitty in the Forest

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad, but she had a happy life at the end. Rest in Peace, Angel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad, but she had a happy life at the end. Rest in Peace, Angel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sue, it is always sad to see an old friend go, characterful chickens are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad news :( I always find it strangely calming that they seem to know it's coming and retire quietly from normal life with a minimum of fuss- I hope I can do the same when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you lost Angel, they are such characters. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad. She had a good life with you. I hope her friend doesn't pine so much for her and make herself ill.
    R.I.P Angel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about Angel. Angel sounds like a wise old chook in the way she spent her final days .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaah,….but what a life well spent in a beautiful spot. xx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We found one of neighbours chickens dead last month. She has rescue chickens from battery farms. But she said she wont be replacing them as they pass away now. Like you, you can be rest assured that they had a great life while they where with you. I

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for you losing Angel. She had a rough start to her life, but thanks to you her last couple of years were wonderful.
    I bet she and Charlie are chatting about how great it was living with their 'mum' and 'dad'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hugs. Thanks for saving Angel and sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I lost one of my "little character" hens last week too. Just like yours, she knew it was her time and just stopped doing things. I shall miss her and understand completely how much you will miss yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun that she was a character! Sorry for the loss of one of you chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. My little lavender araucana, Fiona, died last week. We'll miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She had a great life with you and all the other chickens..
    love
    sara,fern,iris

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry Sue - she was a lovely hen :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful Angel and her kind are one of the reasons I became a vegan many years ago. Sleep well lovely girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment.

      I really feel the pull towards veganism, but I couldn't bring myself to stop eating my girls eggs, they are like gifts for us in exchange for the care we give them. I don't eat shop bought eggs as I cannot abide the industry. The deaths of all the boys, the overcrowding and short lives the layers have. But I can eat eggs from my hens, knowing how they live, that boys are kept in the flock and that they are not pushed in any way to lay nor disposed of when they stop.

      I need to learn more about pulses, beans, and various other foods before I can make the leap but I'm well on the way with my cessation of eating all dairy bar butter and yogurt.... and I could no more eat a chicken than cook one of the dogs!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.