Sunday 14 December 2014

It's Here ....


It's here ... one of favourite magazines of the year, it dropped through my letterbox yesterday.

I'm not ashamed to say I sit down and read it from cover to cover, as I do every week.  And then I get out my pen and put a circle round everything we want to watch or record on our Freesat box, as I do every week.

The Christmas one is somehow special though isn't it.

And did you know you can now browse the back catalogue on BBC Genome, so you can find out what television programmes were on when you were born, what you watched on your tenth birthday or even just see what you sat down to watch after Christmas dinner last year.  What a fantastic service.

Click HERE to go to BBC Genome.


The only thing I don't like about getting my subscription through the post is that I can't get rid of all the leaflets that clutter magazines up these day.  First I always pull out whatever supplement is stapled into the middle, sometimes it's an advert but this time of course it's the usual travel brochure.  Nope ... I don't want to be tempted.


Then into the recycling box go the catalogues of clothes, Stannah stair-lift leaflets, weird, wonderful and wacky gifts catalgues and the charity begging leaflets.  If they are going to waste money printing leaflets I'm afraid they are NOT going to get any of my money, the same if they send me a pen or Christmas cards or even, as I got last year, letters with 5p coins attached, I got four of those in one week, that's four lots of postage, four lots of paper and 20p in cash. 


Advent Challenge - Day 14

A magazine, this months edition of Vogue.   I used to buy it every month back in the day.  Helps plan a shop if you know what in the 'in Vogue' fashions are.  Now it's a very occasional treat.

Sue xx

13 comments:

  1. The Christmas Radio Times is well used by the time Christmas is over in our house - its the only magazine we buy each week.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did all that yesterday, programmes highlighted some even have an R or a W or a +1 against them so nothing clashes. How geeky is that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe .... same here. And + 24 hours :-)

      Delete
  3. Christmas is the only time we buy the Radio Times I must admit and I do enjoy reading it then. Had to smile at the idea of seeing what was on TV when I was born or what I watched on my 10th birthday though as the answer would be nothing since we didn't have a TN when I was born nor even when I was 10!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyxmas is round the corner and i have been busy at home preparing for this very special event for my family. :) i'm also very excited to share with you thing amazing thing called pelmanism .. more details could be found http://toppelmanismsecrets.com/go/

    ReplyDelete
  5. We dont buy a TV guide, you can look up the TV guides for free on the internet, I am not interested in any celebrity gossip and I always find there full of adverts.
    Thanks for the link to the archive site very interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you can't draw circles around it on t'internet Dawn. Some things just have to stay as they always were and that includes the Radio Tines at Christmas.

      Delete
    2. In our case the computer is upstairs in the office and the television is downstairs in the living room, it's much handier to have a magazine on the coffee table for easy reference. There's not that much celebrity gossip in the Radio Times either, more background information on dramas and BBC programmes and films, which is why it is our magazine of choice.

      Delete
  6. It's been over 25 yrs since we saw a Radiotimes,but I used to love the Christmas edition!
    Now we don't have TV..go figure!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same with the Dutch version of the Radio Times, every week again. Though this doesn't mean that we really watch all the programmes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must say I don`t watch TV that often that I must have a magazine for the listings. I don`t even buy any other mags for that matter. I find them a waste of money. With the internet being a useful tool I don`t see the need for these TV mags anymore, either. I used to buy the occasional food magazine some years ago, but even those have now long been scrapped. Magazines can be a little addictive. I`ve gotten used to not having them anymore and would now put that money towards our electric or gas bill instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever heard of the RadioTimes. I'm not much on the magazines in general, since I read so much online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad I'm not the only one with the highlighter out this weekend! The check out girl looked at me like "how sad are you", when I excitedly told her I was going home to read the Christmas Radio Times!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.