Tuesday 9 December 2014

A Gift for Us


We bought our first Christmas gift last week ..... it was a gift for us.

A delivery of four builders bags of hardwood to burn in the wood burner.  We have used up most of our own chopped wood that was seasoned enough to burn.  It went so much faster than we could have imagined with the central heating not being available for so long, so it seemed like a very good idea to splash out on some ready chopped and fully seasoned wood.

I see a warm and cosy Christmas coming up, and Lovely Hubby's back will have a rest from all the chopping and sawing.  Even if he did hurt it a bit moving all the delivered logs from the other side of the house barrow full after barrow full, and then chopping half of them in half to make for easier burning.Now we just have to set to and chop another pallet into kindling and we will be sorted.


The conservatory has come on in leaps and bounds since the last photos.  We are waiting for a dry and relatively wind free day for the Velux window to be put into position and then the roof can be finished off, but at the moment it's blowing a gale out there.


So the guys are all working inside, filling all the gaps with the thick layer of insulation that the roof needs.  It's like a giant game of Tetris, sawing all the panels to fit into each of the gaps and then fixing them in place.  But it's already starting to feeling cosier.


Lots more to do, but it's coming on.



Advent Challenge - Day 9

A glass candle stick that is surplus to requirements, I have one other candlestick that seems to hold a candle firmer and now we mainly burn nightlights in holders, much safer with dogs around.  So this one is being popped into the charity shop bag.

The lady that said she wanted the wardrobe didn't turn up so we are still left with it, I think I will need to go and ask at the charity that takes furniture if they would like it, if she hasn't been in touch by the end of the week.

Sue xx

15 comments:

  1. I am really interested to know exactly what is happening to your conservatory. It's just that we have one too and whilst it's lovely I would like to transform it into more of a room but am not sure how or what it would cost. Any advice or help you can offer would be gratefully received. I am not too far from you so prices should be roughly comparable. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pictures on the Blog show what is happening, and I HAVE explained the process a number of times in the comments on previous posts if you have the time to go back and have a look.

      Basically the poly-carbonate roof was taken off and a new roof supported by a steel frame is being installed. Obviously I am not discussing prices on here, but lets just say there will not be much change from £10,000 for the actual conservatory itself, this is not including the tarmacadaming of the patio area around it once it is finished. Up to now this has been on-going for three weeks, so there is lots of labour costs involved in this as well as the manufacture and supply of the steels, and a number of different 'trades' have been needed on site.

      Delete
    2. Ah, how interesting. Thanks so much for the reply. Something to think about and get saving for.

      Delete
  2. As you're having a velux window I take it you're keeping the vaulted ceiling. Its taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are keeping the full ceiling height that we will be left with once it is all insulated and plaster boarded out, it would be much, much too low a ceiling if we made it flat.

      Delete
  3. arent stacked logs something of beauty.

    The conservatory is going to be fabulous when it is all finished. I can wait for the reveal. I have your Lounge bookmarked with that lovely green. I have shown the Mr it a lot lol inspiration for the next house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still loving our shade of green and although the conservatory will be simply painted white for now, once the freezer moves out of there and into next years big build, the garage and workshop, I will be wallpapering the back wall of the conservatory with a design that has the shade of green that is in the other rooms of the house. Now THAT will be the final reveal!!

      Delete
  4. I have just challenged my friend to the 365. We started today. .I chucked 5 old toiletry bottles from the bathroom cupboard, cleaning it at the same time. We finish next year on Dec 8th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, I need to get a move on with mine I am still a bit (a lot) behind. Good luck with yours. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm so enjoying your give aways, as it is getting me in the mood when I see something I could part with as well. So glad you have all your wood together for the winter. You will be very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start it's easier and easier to let go isn't it. I just opened a drawer in the office and found something else :-)

      Delete
  6. Glad you are getting warmer, a full log store is a beautiful sight :}

    We have this lot for unwanted furniture http://www.impacthousing.org.uk/impact-furniture-services
    Anything similar in your neck of the woods?

    Assume you have all the dogs home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check and see if we do, thanks.

      Yes, all the dogs are home at the moment. It's hard work keeping Mavis in but it's only for a couple of days, they are all going into kennels for the weekend as I will joining Lovely Hubby down South for a long weekend. The builders will have to make their own cups of tea!!

      Delete
  7. My Niece has just had a new kitchen and re- positioned stuff in it. She has the same shade of green on her long back wall and the breakfast bar chairs are in the same shade too. It looks lovely and fresh.
    I removed some wallpaper in my little bedroom, guess what colour paint is underneath? Yep! same shade of green, which is great as was painted in an awful purply/aubergine gloss over the paper when I moved in.........it had to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the building news. I'm interested in how windy is it there. ? I'm in Northern California and were about to have a huge windy storm with winds at 35 mph and gusts to 50. I have a phobia of winds only because we have huge pines around our little house. We chose to go to a nearby town and stay at a hotel. I really hate doing it bit listening to the wind and seeing 100 foot pine trees swaying is more than I can take... :(

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.