Thursday 12 April 2012

Home - The Living Room



This is our living room now it's all finished.  Like the sweeping photos of outside I simply stood and took a shot in each direction ..... so a circular tour of the living room. It measures approximately 12ft x 14ft so not a very big room, just right for us though, snugly in the evenings with all the cats and dogs sprawled on our knees and on the floor by the wood burner.

 The top picture is the window, curtains recycled (and fitting perfectly) from Jointers Farm, photos on the window sill of Lovely Hubby's family, my lovely Lavender cushion on our squidgy leather sofa, years old but too comfy to ever dispose of, and a gorgeously curvy candlestick picked up for pennies at the Oxfam shop in the village just before the move.


The bookcase that used to be in my lavender shop back in Cumbria, filled with our favourite books and topped with some of my collection of jugs and a wirework basket, a souvenir of a wonderful day at a Country Living Fair in Scotland, as is the heart shaped basket next to the fire, that's filled with dried poppy heads from Jointers.  Inside the cupboard my collection of Country Living and Vegetarian Living magazines.   The little green chair was destined to go to the car boot sale, but it has shown it's worth so many times and is just the right colour so we changed our minds.



Our little wood burner, it warms this room within an hour and the whole house within two, this and our free supply of wood from just outside the back door will keep us cosy all Winter.




All my fiction books, some read and loved kept to be re-read when I need to relax, and lots never read but picked up cheaply at charity shops and car boot sales, nothing cost over a pound all waiting for spare minutes when I can sit down and dip in.  The lovely wooden bowls and boxes break up the bookiness of it all and all hold happy memories.  Underneath we keep the log baskets for the fire.



A necessary evil, our big television, the smallest LH would let me get away with, but it looks pretty big in this cosy room.  Underneath it our collection of Dvds and some of the larger 'homey' and 'self sufficiency' books all housed in another ex shop fitting, bought from a friend with a shop opposite mine as she was moving out, and squeezed into my tiny shop until the move to Oxfordshire.




Our usual little display of pictures, added to over the years.  It started with the lonely kitten picture, a limited edition entitled 'Where's Mum', bought when I bought my very first home of my own after my divorce. We added the wooden carved Gecko after a lovely trip to the Christmas Continental Market in Manchester, it matches the one on my arm!!  Then the 'Chat Noir' black cat tin picture after our trip to Paris.  Next came the original advert that started this lifestyle change, snipped from the paper and framed for posterity in a little charity shop frame.   To it this with this move we've added a gorgeous photo of the Lake district taken by my brother.



One last turn and we see the Fortnum and Mason hamper we get each Christmas from Lovely Hubbys agency, a truly decadent and much appreciated pressie, with one of the bowls LH bought me for Christmas, hand turned by a man I used to do craft fairs with, gorgeously tactile and useful too.  Above it a print picked up in a sale just after our return from Paris, a wonderful reminder of many coffees and croissants eaten in street cafes each morning during our stay there.



In the centre, sitting on our new rug (bought cheaply at Dunelm Mill) sits my lovely Laura Ashley coffee table.  Bought for me by my Mum and Dad when I got my first home.  Drawers full of bits and bobs and the flap section at the back full of much loved Dvds It's corners chewed by Rosy when she was a puppy and now by Suky, another bit of furniture holding memories and one that we put our feet up each night in front of the tele or with books in our hands, steaming hot cups of coffee on the mats and usually a block of Toblerone to keep them company.

With all the sorting out done for this room, it will remain like this for the duration of our stay here, I'm not one for moving things round, redecorating for the sake of it or for wanting more stuff to replace what we have just to change a colour scheme.  If it gets grubby it will be cleaned, if things wear out or get broken they will be replaced, if I read books or watch Dvds that I don't like they will be popped into the box ready for the next car boot sale, but other than that this is how it will stay.  We can cosy it up even more for Winter with the addition of more cushions or some throws from the other rooms but it will only adapt not be redesigned.

You see our room is full of our things, full of our memories and warm and cosy. We love this room, it may only just be finished but it's been built up over time, layers of our lives, snippets of our memories and yet looks as if it has always meant to be..... now that's what I call HOME !!

Sue xx

18 comments:

  1. Lovely post Sue - it looks so cosy - well done on all your hard work and thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your philosophy on 'home' Sue, and more particularly what it all should be about. The penultimate paragraph struck a chord. I read far too many interiors magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, well done. I just love your blog, so homely and interesting.
    Not sure I am brave enough yet to put photographs up of our rooms. Not that there is anything wrong with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think homes built on memories are so much more inviting than any designer home. Thanks for sharing with us Sue. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what great pieces! And I love seeing another undersized television. I hate when the set is the focus of a room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm cozy..but will you fit us all in?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a truly lovely room, you have made your new house a very cozy home! Thank you for letting us have a peek!! love Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving having a good nose around your house and garden, glad it's all working out so well.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cozy place :) I especially love your Laura Ashley table...it's gorgeous!! I like our small home to be a "comfortable" place, not only for us, but for other people that come in. I want them to be able to sit and relax and not be afraid to put their feet up. I have a SIL that wants her house to look like House Beautiful and I don't like going there because it's so "formal". Give me cozy any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do cozy too, lovely pictures, I love the book case, we have one very similar and last year I picked up a half size one from a charity shop in the town, its rapidly getting filled up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your lovely home. I love your coffee table xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your lovely living room with us Sue.

    It looks so homely.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it ALL! It's beautiful and a true home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a really beautiful room. One of my Uncles, sadly no longer with us, used to be the General Manager for Fortnum & Mason.

    Thanks for popping by my Blog & becoming a Follower, I really appreciate it!

    Arwedd xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a really beautiful room. One of my Uncles, sadly no longer with us, used to be the General Manager for Fortnum & Mason.

    Thanks for popping by my Blog & becoming a Follower, I really appreciate it!

    Arwedd xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sue,
    I just discovered your blog and am enjoying reading it. Your living room looks lovely and cozy and I love all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Between the little wood-burner and the books... I would be all set !! Lovely !!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks just lovely and really homely and very tidy and organised (wish mine was!) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.