Saturday 5 April 2014

Daisy's Day

 

Hello My name is Daisy, I'm a Lavender Pekin Bantam,
 
I'm two and a half years old now and I live on a hillside in Wales with lots of other chickens ....
 

 
... including Poppy my sister. 
 
We got our lovely names from two little girls who read my human Mum's blog they were called Iris and Fern, I think they have nice names too, in fact two of our aunties were called after them.
 
Well I thought I would tell you all about my day, just a normal day but I thought I would share.
 
 
This is our house, when we can see the daylight through the top of the window our human Mum comes and opens up the big window and we all have a stretch, then she opens our door and the big girls go running down the ramp.  I hold back a bit and so does Poppy we don't like to be pushed as we are a lot smaller than some of the others.

 
I like to sit under the house on my own, I spend a lot of time there because it's nice and cosy and I can have a good dust bath in peace, sometimes Poppy joins me but she likes to mix with the big girls and she spends a lot of time with Caldwell II who is our leader.
 
 
The first cockerel that was our leader was also called Caldwell he was my Dad, he was very handsome.
 
 
Here's a picture of me and Poppy with our Mum, Little Lucy and Dad and our three big brothers.  I'm the one stood away from Mum, I was a bit bigger than Poppy then as I was born three days before her, but now we are the same size.
 
 
Of course now that I am big I can look after myself and I like to spend lots of time pecking around in the grass, it's amazing how much there is to eat when you look properly.
 
 
Some days when the weather is warmer and the days are longer I sit myself in the nest box and lay an egg for human Mum, she comes every day and takes them all away, we don't mind because she always says thank you and gives us a treat of some lovely tasty corn.  If I'm sitting on my own under the house she always gives me a little pile of corn all to myself and if I'm quiet I get to eat most of it before the bigger girls come over.  While Mum is there getting the eggs she cleans up our house and makes it all nice again ready for bedtime.
 
When it starts to go dark we all take it in turns to go up the ramp to bed, I like to sit under the perches where it is cosy but most of the girls sit on them above me, I have to watch to sit in just the right place so I am still clean in the morning.  When it is very dark and everyone is safely at home human Mum comes and closes the window and the door and we all settle down and go to sleep.
 
 
The End.
 
 
Daisy xx

14 comments:

  1. Daisy, I wish I could have days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Daisy, thank you for your story. We think your name suits you well and that you are beautiful. We could think of better places to sleep but im sure you are good at avoiding falling objects. We love your fluffy bum. I know that sounds rude but its the truth.

    Greetings from Molly, Honey and Chelsea (Aussie Pekin Bantams)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a chicken 'fix'!
    You have a lovely flock of hens. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is such a lovely story Sue, I have a little smile on my face:) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brought a smile.....lovely post.
    I love hens. My Grandfather kept hens and geese. I couldn't wait to spend the summer holidays with him.
    He also kept pigs....I like them too!!!

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the peek into your day, Miss Daisy.
    We've never met a chicken before!
    The REAL Maple Syrup Mob xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing other people's chickens. We have three, they are five weeks old now. They're becoming little chickens now, not such chicks anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daisy, thank you so much for sharing your day. I always helps humans if we can get the nitty gritty straight from the chickens' mouth. You are a lovely lady. Enjoy your life in the lovely Welsh countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi sue..well you have just made Fern and Iris jump up and down with happiness..they love reading your blog with me..they are thinking your chickens days are just like our chickens day..lots of food,water and running all over..plus the egg laying..our chickens have started to lay everyday again now..so 3 eggs daily..not bad eh?
    take care
    sara,fern,iris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty little birds & very happy too by the sounds of it, xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.