Tuesday 8 April 2014

Unusual but Lovely

 
After our hard working tree planting day on Saturday we were aching slightly but raring to go with a days hedge planting on Sunday (and did I mention we have five more trees to go in ... three Whitebeam and two Rowan) ... unfortunately the weather had other ideas!!
 
We woke up to heavy rain and grey skies and although things eased slightly over the time it took us to eat breakfast the grey skies foretold a day not designed for being in an open field.  Indoor jobs were the order of the morning, washing and baking a cake for me and the final year end accounts for Lovely Hubby .... yes, I let him do all the nice jobs , I'm nice like that :-)
 
When he surfaced bleary eyed from the computer I suggested a trip into town to buy him a new pair of best jeans, sorely needed after he had bent over yesterday and flashed a bit of thigh at me ... blushes, it was thigh honest !!  His current pair cannot even be re-cycled as work jeans or shorts, the fabric is worn out and completely un-patchable.
 
We bought the jeans along with another pair of lightweight trousers for Summer, a new t shirt to match the trousers ...
Black Mix 7 Pairs of Cotton Rich Assorted Muppets Socks
... and a pack of seven pairs of his usual very restrained socks!!
 
Yes although the black part of the sock is visible if he sits down in a business meeting, hidden inside his shoes his toes are telling a whole different story!!
 

As the M&S café is situated in the other branch 100 yards along the road we decided to have a coffee in Waterstones for a change and as we went in I spied this lovely book with £5 off the cover price.  Now usually I would wait until I got home to see if it was available even cheaper elsewhere but LH said 'let me buy it for you'  ... gosh let a man spend on clothes for himself and the guilt trip means you get a lovely new book .... who am I to argue :-)
 
 
So I got this wonderful new book, Lovely Hubby got new clothes AND a new book on planting trees from seed, we both got a cup of coffee to drink while we perused our new books and our aching muscles from the day before got chance to recover.
 
An unusual but lovely Sunday afternoon.

 
My nice new book has now been added to the collection of books being read when I settle down for the night.  I always love having a choice of books to dip into within reach. (When I checked on Amazon it is only actually a few pennies cheaper on there, so thinking about it I am so pleased that I supported our local high street instead.)
 
What are you currently reading?
 
Sue xx

26 comments:

  1. Nice book. I am reading the History of Kidderminster at the moment, having just finished Wolfhall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a lovely new book, I shall have to investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since moving, I'm going through my higgedy piggedy book (cough) cookbook shelf and flicking through them for inspiration, do have my eyes on a couple of new veg cookbooks, but they will have to wait for treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, green with envy: a beautiful book you got as a present!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely book, how kind of LH. I haven't started a book this month - this needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.....love the socks.
    Beautifully illustrated book.......

    What am I reading at the moment 'Out of the Woods' by Will Cohu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab sock .. trendy guy you have there. Trying not to read too much .. nothing gets done once I am into a book ..!

    Vickyx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am re-reading 'Hovel in the Hills' by Elizabeth West. Wonderful story, and rather apt don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh one of my favourite books and highly co-incidental that we now live just across the valley from where it was set :-)

      Delete
  9. The gardeners year by Alan Titchmarsh, bit sad but useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have just finished the Book Club book, Gone Girl. It is a thriller and I couldn't put it down, but other book club members weren't so keen, but that's why I go to a book club, to find new authors and hear the opinions of others.
    I love the background to your picture Sue, patchwork quilt I assume. I am all fired up after Frugal Queen's posts about how to quilt and am actually going to finish one I started over 35 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am re-reading "the children of the new forest" yet again lol a favourite from childhood and read regularly ever since!
    Fab socks! And the book looks lovely! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visit my blog and you will see what I have been reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's an invitation I simply can't refuse!!

      Delete
  13. I am going historical! Last month was White Queen & then someone gave me The Boleyn Inheritance so am reading that before looking for The Red Queen.
    Love the patchwork!
    Finally commented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a minute I read that as 'hysterical' ... Lol :-)

      Welcome to our mad world!!

      Delete
  14. I'm reading The White Princess, and also Under the Tuscan Sun, which is bringing back holiday memories.

    I love the look of your new book and as I make a lot of preserves, I will hope it gets to The Works at a knockdown price!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I`m delving in and out of The Colour Library Book of VEGETARIAN COOKING introduced by Gail Duff, a second hand bought cookery book, but still looks and feels brand new to me. I like to pick up a few nice ideas for my working lunches from this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Sue! Love, love the socks! Who makes them? Must get some for my youngest son. He is 32 and would love the have a hidden chuckle. I am rereading "The Warden" by Trollope. Love to read this series every few years.
    I find your header very appropriate and cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are from good old Marks and Spencer as were all his clothes bought on Sunday. He likes to do a one stop shop :-)

      Delete
  17. I'm reading Four Friends by Robyn Carr.
    Love your bedside cabinet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's actually a telephone table but matches our other bedside table almost perfectly. We couldn't fit two bedside tables and the bed in the room and still be able to close the door!!

      Delete
  18. I've just finished Names For The Sea : Strangers in Iceland, by Sarah Moss. Which was a wonderful introduction to the culture and landscape of Iceland. I'm going to try and read another Virginia Woolf novel next whilst dipping into a couple of books about Lee Miller and Roland Penrose of Farley Farm Fame. Phew that last bit was a mouthful.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just finished a wonderful book which I borrowed from the library, called 'The Island Nurse' written by Mary J MacLeod. I didn't want it to end. It's a true story about a family who relocate from London to 'get away from it all' and move to a 20 mile long remote Scottish island. It's absolutely fascinating.

    We treated ourselves to a coffee in Waterstones on Sunday too. However, I was very frugal and took home made sandwiches to eat in the car first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keep this going please, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.