Thursday 27 February 2014

Naughty Doggies

 
That sweet little innocent face .....
 
 
... the ring leader.
 
Yesterday I was doing a mad flurry of housework, you know the sort of hour, you damp dust, bits fall onto the floor so you hoick out the hoover and hoover the floors then decide that now the rugs look nice and clean the tiles need mopping, while you've got the mop out you might as well do all the hard floors.  One thing leads to another and suddenly the house is all sparkly clean, you look in the mirror and yes, that red faced tired out looking person IS you ... so you open the door the get a breath of fresh air.
 
Then the dogs dash out ..... !!
 
Rosy has found a rabbit burrow, no it's more of a housing estate for rabbits in the woods, and there are entrances to this lovely bunny smelling paradise all over the place, if you take your eyes off her she disappears to check if anyone's home and available for snacking purposes.  Well this time Mavis followed her!
 
I was due to leave for the gym any minute, it's just a two hour slot every week with the local over 50's (yes ... sob... I'm that old) for the bargain price of £3.50 and it's invigorating.  I get to chat to the locals, work my butt off, try lots of 'new to me' equipment and generally just have a break from the old homestead for a couple of hours AND there's a cup of coffee and a custard cream at half time :-)
 
I climbed to the top of the hill calling nicely, nastily, offering titbits, bones, everlasting life etc etc to any dog that would return home, but NO the lure of the rabbits beat me hands down.  Mavis had made for the fence at the top of the hill and vanished and Rosy had gone down a hole. 
 
Now I was in a quandary do I stay, seethe and wait for the dogs to decide to come home or do I leave for the Gym with fingers crossed that they could survive for two hours on a Welsh hillside without me holding their little grubby paws.
 
I'm a bad doggy Mummy .... the Gym won.!!
 
And when I got home ... sat halfway down the hill scanning the horizon were two little grubby looking dogs, pleased as punch when Mum's car pulled in and out got the naughty runaway Mum. Well I mean, after all you just take yourself off for an adventure and your Mum goes missing ... it's just not on is it, more Mummy training is obviously needed!!
 
Sue xx

25 comments:

  1. the dog my boy has would do the same but would never come home.
    maybe at least you're keeping fit, in order to deal with the animal antics.
    cute story by the way, they do have a knack for getting into things don't they? grin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, but progress!! Mavis came back and didn't disappear. I thought she usually still had to go outside on a long leash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She usually does, but bit by bit we've been giving her more freedom. taking the lead off when we are within sight of the door and letting her out for the occasional wee without it if it's raining and obviously being back in the house would be preferable etc. We thought we were getting there, but obviously when she saw Rosy dart up the hill the temptation was too great and she was just off like a flash!!

      At least I know she will come home now which is a major breakthrough.

      Delete
    2. She very definitely knows a good home and it must be lovely to know she really does consider you as 'Mum' now. Xx

      Delete
  3. Good for you. I think I'd be tempted to do the same. I'm glad they were waiting for you on your return. They might think twice about running off in future - I doubt it though, if ours is anything to go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Your showing them your the boss and thier mad antics won't stop you getting on with your plans.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, Jack Russells will be Jack Russells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep.. we know that one, our pudding Jack is just like that. Paddy has his mummy and daddy well trained. He went for his long walk (45 minutes) this morning and decided, after a little kip, that it was time to go out again. We don't usually take him until 2pm LOL x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this and it could be a blog from my own life

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we had dogs, our Whippet and Jack Russell would try and leg it when they were youngsters. Round here though, it's a case of thinking how close the nearest sheep were, and making sure we rounded up the miscreants for fear of them being found just in the vicinity of (even though they wouldn't have dreamed of doing any harm). I can still remember my heart being in my throat.

    Glad that Mavis stayed with Rosy this time, as that is a big step forward, her not taking to the hills on her ownsome. Progress : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this did make me smile. I had visions of two very cross looking dogs waiting for you. Bless em.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naughty dogs :) Glad Mavis came home though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aah bless, its is good news that you know Mavis will return home. The little horrors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, this made me laugh! Animals are the best, what would we do without them? Such a cute little face x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mavis is so cute! So innocent looking,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Mavis. If she had a fan club I would join.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good to know they will stay close to the house. They know which side their bread is buttered.
    Bad news on rabbits though..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Mavis and Rosy, what are you two like? I think you should come for a holiday to Cornwall with me and give your mum a break but I fear I might not want to give you back. You are both gorgeous and typical 'terror' terriers. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Very funny! Mavis is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What naughty dogs!! My mums golden retriever once disappeared down a rabbit hole , we had a devil of a time getting him out! The trials and tribulations of being a dog owner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that picture of Mavis! What cheeky doggies they are, glad they had the sense to wait for you to return. Wonder what Suky thought when she had an unexpected house to herself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt for you - the fear that you wouldn't be able to find them for d-a-y-s!! My "grandpuppy" is a Goldie and she 'left the beach and headed to the busy road on Monday and I nearly had a fit!!! She got a right telling off! What beautiful looking dogs - butter wouldn't melt in their mouths... Yeah Right!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha ha how funny. She has the most gorgeous face, how could anyone be cross?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you chose to go to the gym & not spend the two hours trying to get the dogs back ! So good that they were both waiting for their mum when you arrived home; you must have been relieved x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you! If my Jake is anything to go by, I know how frustrating little 'Jacks' are when they get a naughty thought in their head! There's just no stopping them.... Whoosh! Off they go. :D
    So pleased they were waiting for YOU when you got back. Maybe they had a good think whilst sitting there! :D

    So love the way Mavis has settled in. Bless you all.

    Rw.

    P.s have you been able to get on Frugal Mummy's blog Sue? I've tried all sorts of ways, but it just keeps saying ' blog removed' . Yet I see on your side bar that Tracey's posted? Have you any ideas dear lady?

    Have a great 'runner' free weekend both of you. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.