Wednesday 21 September 2011

Grannys' Jam Pan



This is Granny's jam pan, given me last year by my lovely mum in law, Jessie.  When she found out about my newly re-discovered love of growing my own and preserving my own, she passed this on to me.  Used by her Mum and then by her and now by me, a real bit of useful family history.  It's fed many generations with many different foodstuffs. All gathered with love and stored carefully away for less fruitful times.


Of course, I had a shiny jam pan of my own that I used regularly, but now I have two, they sit side by side in this photo on my lovely Aga.  Warming up ready for jam making.  For a special batch of jam making.  I had promised Lovely Hubby a special treat for his Mum when we go back to see her this weekend, some homemade jam made in grannys jam pan.  Now I've given her many jars in the past but this was to be special, our homegrown fruit and made in Grannys' pan  rather than mine,  and I was slightly worried that I didn't have any good enough fruit left growing on the farm for this extra special order.


When I walked the dogs yesterday we set off in our less usual direction, and after telling you there were barely any blackberries gowing on the bushes round the farm, suddenly they were everywhere, perfectly shaped large blackberries, gloriously ripe and just waiting to be picked especially for Jessie.  I dashed back to the house and got my bowl and chose only the finest, juiciest fruits, the ones that my eyes alighted on first, the bowl filled rapidly and still they were everywhere, but I held firm to my resolve and left lots for the the birds.

After picking some apples from our old apple tree I took my treasures into the house to wash them.

Now I just have to decide which jam pan to use.



There's really no question is there!!

Sue xx 

15 comments:

  1. How lovely - it will make the jam making process a bit more special x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking pan and what a lovely present to give back to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have always wanted one of them. Keeping my eyes out for a second hand one at a charity shop or somewhere, the new ones are so expesnive. I agree with Fran though, about the specialness :0

    ReplyDelete
  4. now you can label it up as Grannies Special Jam!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Granny-in-laws jam pan too - its perfect and feels so solid compared with modern ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie's Jam...think you have just renamed all blackberry jams from now on!
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha...you guessed Jane - that is what I'm going to call the Jam.....Jessie's Jam...what else could it be if you think about it.

    It's bubbling away as I type.

    Thanks everyone for all the comments.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could always try two batches simultaneously, then give us a quick review on how each pan performed? It would be interesting to know of any marked differences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful blackberries. Don't they need more sugar because they are the second lot of fruit this year?

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really have an attraction to big old pans!

    Lovely!

    Martin :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love going bramble picking, my nana made the best bramble jelly ever. I don't see many over here. There's nothing better than home made jam. Post photos when you are done...

    Gill in Canada

    http://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi
    what a wonderful jam-pot you have.lucky woman!!!
    i like blackberries-jam too.
    have a wonderful weekend, regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have just been awarded The Versatile Bloggers Award. YOU deserve it and I really enjoy your blog. You can find out more by going to my blog.xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just found this blog thanks to a link on the green parent forums from someone miles away from me and I am enjoying reading a few posts...I live just down the road in Thame but have never been to the smallholding market so lovely to see what it is like. I love it when you find someone in the vastness of the internet who is so close in reality. I will enjoy reading back and seeing what you have been up to and who knows maybe call into to one of the farmers markets soon xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.