Monday 12 September 2011

Food Inc



We've just watched an amazing DVD,  Food, Inc.  If you have any doubts that the food giants are on a mission to take over the world this is the one to watch.

Behind the scenes at 'chicken growing farms' and  the largest slaughter house in America (don't worry there aren't any graphic scenes).  Ah,...but that's in America you might be tempted to say, but where the USA goes we always follow.  Unless this time we listen to some of the campaigners HFW and Jamie etc and do something about it.

It also blows the lid on the most used ingredient in the world, it's in around virtually everything you eat if you live on processed foods.....amazing.

One thing for sure it reinforced in my mind how right we are to be going down the self-sufficiency route, the more self-sufficient we get the happier I'll be.

Click on the link at the top of my sidebar for your own copy or just to see the page on Amazon and read all the reviews, there are only a few copies left, it's getting very popular, (in fact one sold just while I was loading the link).
Sue xx

5 comments:

  1. I would love to grow my own meat! my gran always had pigs for eating when she was younger and so would I. just a small holding with a cow and calf, 2 pigs and some chickens...would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollen and "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer are literary equivelants of that movie. Great, and easy, reads...if not a little disgusting at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to grow my own meat too, unfortunately I only have a garden not a smallholding. I have thought about meat rabbits though, just couldn't get past the thinking of them as pets thing.I do like eating rabbit though,so shouldn't be such a hypocrite I don't suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've just spent the weekend butchering two of our pigs. It's the first time we have butchered our own and it was hugely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of happy eating hanging curing and tucked away in your freezer for Winter then Mo and Steve...well done. I love to read about the way you're doing things.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.