Friday 6 November 2015

Winter, a lingering season .....

Google Image


Winter, a lingering season, 
is a time to gather golden moments, 
embark upon a sentimental journey, 
and enjoy every idle hour.

John Boswell

So many folk start to feel 'down' at this time of the year, the long dark nights are drawing in, the days are short, cold and damp, and venturing out can seem like more hard work than it should. 

 But we should remember these long dark nights mean we can cosy up by the flickering flames of the fire, or simply luxuriate in the warmth of a house with the heating ticking over in the background.  We can snuggle down for the evening wrapped in woolly jumpers, dressing gowns or fleecy blankets and watch the television or a good film on Dvd.  We can turn to favourite well read books and lose ourselves in the comforting familiarity of our favourite written words.

Google Image

Big mugs of coffee, tea or hot chocolate keep fingers toasty and the tummy warm, and decanted into a flask can make venturing into the great outdoors a more warming experience come the weekend.

It's not a time to feel too down .... it's a time to replenish the batteries, to take stock of all we've accomplished over the course of the Summer, and think about all that we want to accomplish once these dark nights begin to lift at the end of December.  


Mavis and Suky have the right idea, once teatime is over and the last walk around the paddock finished, little wet doggy feet and tummies are rubbed dry and we all snuggle in the warmth of the house.  They snuggle in their beds while I make my evening meal and then we all retreat to the warmth of the living room, long evenings and lots of doggy cuddles make short dark days much more tolerable.

We might be hurtling rather too quickly to the end of the year but with endings come new beginnings and we all love those ..... don't we?



Sue xx

21 comments:

  1. Have been thinking just the same way, apart from the ghastly weather we have had for the last week or so. Have just made a large batch of buns ready to ice for our great grandsons first birthday. Little did I think 51 years ago as I sat heavily pregnant waiting for the birth of his grand dad that life would pan out like it does. Innocently they gave me the 2nd of November as his due date, so I heaved the coal from the cellar, knelt down and lit the fire with a little fox terrier curled up on the backs of my legs it was so cold. Then I sat and unpicked some nighties I had been given and extended the front to enable me to breast feed. I did wonder when I would go into labour, but we were more innocent then, and he kept me waiting until the 14th before he decided to arrive. Then all innocence went!!!!!!!!! He and his sisters were worth all the wait, and now we are here, still baking, keeping warm but no more pregnancies, thank goodness.. Have a peaceful weekend. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, you paint the picture so well. :-)

      Delete
  2. Just re-read last comment, No I did not light the fire with a little fox terrier. What a wally xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a pug I see? I had a black pug (Algy) for many years - he was adorable and absolute boss of a German Short Haired Pointed I acquired by accident a couple of years after Algy arrived.
    Do agree about what to do in the Winter months -I love it when the stove is lit, the curtains are drawn, the lights are dimmed and we can sit and muse by the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Suky is a Pug. A fawn one, her dad was a black Pug and her mum identical to her.

      She is the calming, unmovable force between two Jack Russell terriers.

      Delete
  4. Sue, you have summed it up beautifully. This year I am determined to see the positive and try and avoid the overwhelming gloomy feeling I usually have at this time of year. It did prove somewhat difficult earlier walking into town in the pouring rain and getting slapped in the face by leaves getting blown from the trees. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful photo. Although we have been experiencing much warmer days than normal this November, I look forward to cozy nights with the family and a big mug of hot tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really nice perspective Sue, thank you.
    Our nights here in Texas draw in early too, it is still warm though, around 70f. Due to get cold next week, nights will go down to 45f. Goodness me, what a change.
    Love you blog.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suffer badly in the winter. I have to get outside as much as possible when its sunny. At least I understand now that I'm becoming depressed and try to exercise it off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The frosty picture with the fallen leaves is beautiful! That`s how we imagine the sunnier winter days. It has started to rain in Brighton and the forecast for most of the next week is wet and windy. That`s the reality of most winter days here. Depressingly grey, wet and cold. I hate that side of winter, but I do like to snuggle up with a cosy throw over my shoulders and the legs whilst watching TV or reading. Loads of hot beverages are going to be needed again this winter, too. The slow cooker will be reigning heavily in the kitchen to provide hot stews, casseroles or curries as well. As long as we can have plenty of warm food and drinks we should all be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each season has it's positives doesn't it? I like that I have time inside to sew and knit each evening. When the days are lighter I tend to be outside longer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lie on the sofa and pretend it's a one man tent by pulling it over me, adventuring in my mind

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time for lots of crafts here, especially when the weather is too bad to get a good walk in. Snuggled by the fire is just the BEST place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wise words from you, and the cute doggies are smart too as they snuggle up and enjoy the change of season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post.Just the mood I cherish.Love doing what You just described.I live far far away from You but could feel right at home visiting with You. I'm now Your newest follower.Please do hop right over, passing up the thousands of miles between Us and Have a cup of Hot butter cider with Me-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful post
    each season has its blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The photos of the frost on the leaves is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.