Friday 27 November 2015

Random Harvesting, Bowls and Stocktaking the Freezer


A random harvest, that's what I call the things I bring back into the house after cleaning out the henhouse each morning.

There is usually at least one egg there already when I go to clean out the house, we have had three a day for the last two weeks, I'm more than happy with that it means we have a plentiful supply for the kitchen and the occasional half dozen for Mum.  Yesterday I brought a handful of Kale back from the polytunnel on the way back from the morning doggy walk around the paddock, and since the weather has taken a turn for the chilly I bring at least one bowl full of wood into the house.  

I like my big old handled bowl, we picked up a couple of these from a farm auction we went to years ago and they have proved useful for all sort of things.


The best ever use of this larger one was as the 'day bath' for the geese, Harry, Larry and Mo.  We sat it in a tyre so it didn't tip and they had lots of fun washing, preening and generally playing with the water.


Of course all the chickens, including their Mum, the Hyline hen Mother Goose (hence her name), thought this bathing in water malarky was totally ridiculous and would have nothing to do with it.  But the geese would happily take it in turns to bath or just sit there watching the world go by.


Today it's been raining virtually all day ... yet again, so I finally got round to a bit of freezer stocktaking.  The small freezer half of the fridge/freezer in the kitchen is all done now and a list of the contents has been scribbled down on to waste sheets of A4 paper (we use the back of printed out things that we have no further use for) and will be typed up neatly once I get round to stocktaking the big chest freezer.  I'm not doing it yet in case I can combine any duplicated items.  I was amazed at how much this freezer had in it.

I virtually got frostbite while going through it ,and had to make a coffee to warm my hands around after spending five minutes separating slices of lemon that had stuck together.  I found two boxes, both half full and decided to combine them into one for ease of use and stacking.  The slices were pretty stuck together but I persevered and now they are free flowing again.I think a pair of gloves will be used once I bring myself to tackle the big chest freezer.

Time to feed the dogs now and take them for a wet and muddy walk round the paddock, the chickens will be closed up for the night as we get back to the house and then the fire will be lit.  The only good thing about these short dark, wet days is the long, cosy evenings cuddled up in front of the television with snoozing dogs and the flicker of the candles on the mantlepiece.


Have a good evening.

Sue xx

10 comments:

  1. Love your bowls with the handles. We have, what looks like a small tin bath, that I think my friend bought as a beer bucket that we fill with wood. we had a basket but I got fed up with the bits falling through the gaps. mess to clear up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like they are really enjoying that bath. Brrrrrrrrrr a tad too cold for my liking. Had to go into Ipswich today and I was expecting the worst but it was no different to a normal Friday. I think a lot of the consumer programs had warned people about the so called bargains.........they aren't really bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea putting the goose bath in the tyre. :) I'm going to borrow that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bowls and the photo of the goose having a bath :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the 3 geese wait patiently for their turn in the bath; I imagine you have to keep refilling the water! A wonderful use for a bargain bowl - and almost certainly one that was never thought of originally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to loathe sorting out the freezers, due to the 'frozen fingers' problem! However, I've more or less got it defeated now, I wear a pair of cotton gloves with a pair of rubber gloves a size larger than normal over them, it's not perfect, but it helps a lot!
    DH loves freezer sort out days as we have a 'random' dinner that night, using whatever goodies I find that had previously been forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope I can remember the trick with putting the bowl in a tire to keep it from tipping. I love mallard ducks and watching them play in a small area of water. The last ones we had were so used to the childs swimming pool I provided for them that when it came time to release them to the big pond they were scared to death for months and kept going back to the barn to their empty kiddie pool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your "Bird Bath"

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.