Friday 20 November 2015

Lettuce Soup




Lots of you were spot on yesterday when you asked if I was going to make soup with the lettuces I picked.  It's a simple soup .... as most soup recipes are, I don't go for fancy, I go for tasty.

To the 'bolted' lettuces I added the ingredients in the photo above.  Split red lentils, a couple of dessert spoonfuls of the bouillon powder and a good squirt of garlic paste.  I found this almost used up tube nestled in the door shelf of the fridge when I was cleaning it out on Monday.  I don't know how long it's been opened for but I was determined to use it up.

They were simply all popped in a pan with lots of boiling water, brought back to the boil and then simmered in the oven for an hour while I got on with other things.


The kitchen smelt lovely and when the soup came out of the oven it looked luscious.


Once whizzed up I had a litre of soup for very little money or effort .....


.... the only thing was it looked just like the six piles of sick I had cleaned up thirty minutes earlier, deposited all over the house by Mavis, exactly the same colour just not as lumpy :-(

I had toast for lunch!!

Sue xx


14 comments:

  1. I do find that with some home made soups - they taste and smell amazing but are not that great to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Lots of my recipes look like piles of poo but taste Ok!! It's all about taste in our house, not so much about presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm.....dog vomit soup! I bet it tastes wonderful. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine why it put you off, another day perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that lettuce soup could be a thing...the colour is, as you say, a little offputting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just can't get my mind around lettuce in soup. So sorry for poor Mavis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Mavis. Its a good way of using the lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I snorted with laughter as to why you had toast for lunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sue, how this made me laugh. I hope you didn't throw it away. I always find home made soup tastes better the day after it is made, so try again tomorrow - put some nice music on at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know that Lettuce Soup is a soporific? It tastes better with plenty of pepper. Unfortunately many home made soups do not look very appetising, but all taste better than they look

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried lettuce soup, but it sound yummy. I am a huge fan of butternut squash and sweet potato soup and make big batches to freeze.

    X X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why didn't you eat it without the whizzing? In the original form, it looks better and there is all the chunky, leafy parts to chew on. I never whizz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup that is whizzed keeps you fuller for longer, proven fact. And although Lovely Hubby likes chunky and chewy when he's at home, I prefer mine smooth and longer lasting :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.