Tuesday 19 August 2014

Another Day Out !!

 
A sign appeared on our gate post by the triangular paddock last week.  As the lady was attaching it she spotted Lovely Hubby working in the field and came over to check it was okay to put it there, seemingly it has been there for the last 20 odd years twice a year ...... so who were we to say no!!
 
 
Last time it was there we were busy decorating in the house and just didn't have the time to follow the signs and visit the garden ... but this time we did.

 
Two miles further along the road from us and we found it ..... the entrance to Maenan Hall.

 
We took a photo of a wall because we need to show whoever comes to build our new walls just what we want.  I love the steps built into this one, but I don't think we'll be able to do that, although as I said to Lovely Hubby it would save Geraint the Post a lot of time!! 
 
 
Lovely Hubby sulkily posed by the bust .....

 
... and then discovered something wonderful in the undergrowth ..... me!!


There were some beautiful settings.
 

 
Up on the hill we spied a Folly.


Getting closer I noticed what looked like a naked man ....
 
 
... but on closer inspection I realised his modesty was intact thanks to a well placed fig leaf.  
He was Helios, and he was the personification of the sun in Greek mythology.

 
Lovely Hubby was more interested in the ceiling ..... I don't know why .... I didn't look up ;-)

 
I climbed the tower and stood on tip toe while waved to Lovely Hubby who stayed at the bottom.  "Look no hands" I shouted, just to scare my gorgeous height fearing man .... hehehe.

 
After all that walking and climbing we had to sit and recharge out batteries with coffee and cake ....

 
... I was too slow with the camera to even get a shot of Lovely Hubby's.
 
As they were raising money for the Red Cross we returned to sample the other cakes after a stroll around the Dell, and had a complete action replay, I didn't want to photograph that as it would have made us look greedy .... Lol !!
 
It was a brilliant half day out, and feeling inspired we returned home via Snowdonia Nurseries where we had a little spend on some new plants for a new bed I have in mind.  We did get some work done as once home we changed into our working gear, got out the strimmer and got stuck in to strimming, pruning and weeding.
 
A day well spent.
 
Sue xx

20 comments:

  1. I have been to the hall as a child.... We also stayed at the nearby caravan park for holidays ( even though we only lived in prestatyn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that have been the Maenan Abbey caravan park, next to the hotel?

      Delete
  2. aaah so that's what a folly is. Lovely shots x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 'Folly' is a building or feature built for no specific reason, just because you want it there.

      This one has a wonderful view from the very top, up a very narrow stone staircase which would around the back of the building and a middle floor with a room with windows which had garden type furniture in but alas, the doors were locked. So a bit more useful than some folly's I've seen in the past.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes those spontaneous outings are the best. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed ourselves. It was open under the NGS, so we were expecting a smallish garden but it was a small estate.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and I'm so glad you supported the red cross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive never seen maenan hall, will have to look out for it next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is only open to the public through NGS twice a year, once in April and once in August.

      http://ngs.org.uk/gardens/find-a-garden/garden.aspx?search=type:advanced-c:All+counties-d:0-d1:20140812000000-d2:20140831235900&id=8174

      Delete
  6. Look at you being a woodland nymph!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a 'tiptoeing through the tulips' mood ..... but it was the wrong time of year ;-)

      Delete
  7. My mum's garden wall on Anglesey was just like that - no steps though !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, a day well spent. I like the Folly and gardens and that it was a fund raiser.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was your garden that was open then, ha ha. Nice to have a day out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me smile Sue, I'm glad you had a lovely day out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos and I too love the steps in the wall.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You needed to work off all that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marvellous. Love the pond. And the two lots of cake!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.