Friday 27 May 2016

Using The Back Catalogue

The very first photo that appeared on this blog.

When I find a blog that really appeals to me, and I mean really appeals to me, I have been known to go right back to the beginning and read the whole back catalogue.  I find it helps you to learn more about the writer and the reason behind the blog.  Sometimes it's much more interesting than a book, of course like a book there is also the bonus of being able to dip into it when you have time to spare and read forward a few posts (chapters) at a time.

There have been a few people reading their way through from when we originally began our change of lifestyle over the past few weeks, and I have been able to follow their progress on my Statistics page.  Congratulations to the two of you who have just arrived in the present day  :-)

I myself have just spent the last few days starting from scratch with one of the blogs on my sidebar .... and very good reading it was too.  The blog I am talking about is Remembering the Old Ways.  Michelle has a lovely way of living and I simply fell in love with her beautiful cottage.

I've been asked recently how do you get back to the beginning of someone's blog .... well it's really simple.  I'll use my blog as an example, some blogs differ slightly but most will have archives and be similar to use. 

Look for BLOG ARCHIVES on the sidebar.  

First you will see a list of years, go to the oldest (in my case it was 2009)  click on the dark arrow to the left of that year and a drop down list will appear showing the months.

Click on the arrow pointing to the oldest month and another drop down list will appear with the names of all the posts in that particular month.  

You start by going to the very oldest and click on that particular post.  Once you have read this  post at the very bottom, below the comments in my case,  it will say 'Newer Post'  clicking on this will take you to the next post in the sequence and so on and so on.

When I am reading my way through a blog from start to present day I keep a post-it  note in my diary and make a note of where I finish each reading session, so I can click back the next time I want to read on a bit further.  Be warned however ... this is very addictive .... as I have just found out with Michelle's lovely blog  ;-)

Sue xx

14 comments:

  1. I only discovered blogs in late 2014. I've read most of my favourites from their start dates - yours included. It fascinates me to learn how others go about their daily lives. I salute all you bloggers - I don't think I could ever keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Some blogs do "read like a book" and it is fascinating to follow lives that change, or lives that are lived in beautiful, different places.
    We use mine almost as a virtual photograph album. It is good to revisit days and places from several years ago and it`s amazing how memory fills in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know exactly what you mean Sue, I did the very same thing with Michelle's blog a few months ago, isn't her lifestyle just the loveliest? and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite often peruse through blog archives. I find it interesting how a blog theme often changes x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like others I too have gone back through the archives on a few blogs. I can't remember when I first discovered yours, but it was two or three of your rental properties ago. Your blog is interesting even though I'm not a smallholder and don't grow my own fruit or veg, although a couple of years ago I grew a plum tree from a plum stone. These days I always go onto your Living Without first to see if there are any of your very handy hints and tips etc.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start from the beginning of your blog Sue but have been following you for sometime. But what I would like to say you have taught me so much in the short time I have been following you. Not to mention the beautiful pictures you share of Wales and sometimes the UK my home birth. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading blogs like this also. Trouble is, it takes so much time. It sounds a bit egocentric but I also enjoy reading my own blog (Hastings Battleaxe), which has been going for 4.5 years and charts our new life in Hastings. It's like having a diary with pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean to go back and read everything but it would take so long! This blog was mainly just text for a while, until I got a decent enough mobile phone camera that took good pictures! Hopefully it is still improving

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the top 'back' blogging tips. Very useful.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a good idea Sue but it does take time - and (dare I say it) I really can't spare that kind of time. I like to put a post on every day (when I have broadband!)and I like to read everyone's post every day and comment - that takes up all the time I can spare really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the link to the "Remembering the Old Way's website - I've just made my way through 2014 and am thoroughly enjoying it - will get caught up over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also enjoy Michelle's blog, always full of lovely photos and recipes. I don't often go back and read blogs from the beginning, although one day............. I expect other people have had all sorts of changes like we have. My blog is not what I envisaged at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a lovely time last night, while we/husband watched football reading through Michelle's blog. Thank you for that link! I"ll bet her family are healthier than most, eating so well and living such calm lives. I do try to cook from scratch, but we also eat commercially prepared foods, and the lists of ingredients on the packets can be scary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you enjoy the blog. Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.