Thursday, 7 November 2013

Mushrooms, Vegetables and Funny Foibles

 
Walking along the edge of our side of the woods this week trying to dodge the worst of the rain with the dogs, these beauties caught my eye.  I have no idea whether they are edible or deadly poisonous, but I simply had to pick them to show to Lovely Hubby before the torrential rain rotted them away.  I also wanted to look in our mushroom handbook to see what sort they were, but the book's at the other house ..... as are most things we need and when we're there it's the same story, we go in a drawer or cupboard to get something out and realise that, yes ... it's at the other house!! 


 As it happened within an hour the rain stopped and we had a wonderfully sunny day, so I thought I'd photograph them for posterity and so I can check them out when I am reunited with my handbook later.
 

 
This week it's been all about the veggies, bringing in the last of this and the last of that.  The weird and wonderful carrots were all blanched and then open frozen, the yellow courgette and beans were roasted with other veggies from the fridge for tea that night.  The lettuce, the wonderful surprise lettuce, was my lunch today on a sandwich with a slice or two of cheese and there are a few more lettuces to bring in next week.

 
Yesterday saw me pulling up what was left of the Beetroot, Lovely Hubby had some with his tea last night and the rest was bottled up with some vinegar to eat once we have eaten the Pickled Beetroot from 2010 that we are manfully ploughing our way through at the moment.  Why didn't I have any with my tea, well the smell of beetroot cooking really puts me off it for a while, I think it smells dreadfully 'hot earthy' and just not nice.  But I love the taste of it, so in a couple of days I will be able to eat some from the jar in the fridge with no ill effects but in the meantime ..... YUK no way!!
 
I have  lots of funny little foibles ..... do you?
 
Sue xx

12 comments:

  1. it looks like they're good mushrooms. check this bit of information.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrolepiota_procera

    if you feel sure to eat them, they're wonderfully tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sun dried tomatoes, out of the jar. To me the smell is just awful. Maybe I had an 'off' jar, but it was so bad I've never tried it again. Cooked, by someone else, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blogs your coping very well being in two places when are you hopefully moving in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ek those are big ones aren't they ..I can't stand beetroot yuk AFM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mushrooms look like proper field mushrooms to me, but please don`t rely on my mushroom knowledge. Better save then sorry.
    I love your new blog front picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving your new home Sue, it looks so lovely :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look like Parasol Mushrooms which are edible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A white mushroom with white gills is something to avoided". There are only 3 exceptions that are edible, the rest are poisonous. Check out this mushroom site - http://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/identifying-white-mushrooms/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I trained myself to eat celery but at the moment only when it is cooked - I cannot bear the smell of it raw. I have also started eating dark chocolate recently and now I love it - just shows you can make yourself like things over time if you persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always tell the children that they only have to eat something twenty times then they'll like it! (Either that, or they'll be in the habit of eating it anyway.) I've got a lovely chocolate brownie recipe that has cooked beetroot in it if you want it. You can't taste (or smell) the beetroot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like scaggy parasol mushroom but I'd check, check and then check again before I ate them. I love foraging for food but I still don;t like to for mushrooms. It's not owrth wrecking your kidneys over about 50p worth of mushrooms! Read something like this to put you off! - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015392/Author-Horse-Whisperer-poisoned-eating-mushrooms-kidney-transplant-daughter.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are Parasols. Delicious, but best when a bit younger, try to pick them whilst still not totally opened.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry but I have added word verification to try and curtail the unprecedented amount of spammers recently posting comments. I will try this rather than stop Anonymous Users commenting for the time being to see if this will solve the problem. Thank you for your patience.