Wednesday 27 November 2013

Cold Days, Warm Soup

 
These cold, cold days mean only one thing in this house.
 
 
Six scoops of dried soup mix bought from Approved Foods whenever it is on offer (the last lot cost me 25p a bag) ...
 
 
 
... and one large scoop of Vegetable Bouillon mix from the same place (an unbelievable £1 for a 2.5kg tub) ...
 

 
.... equals one huge pan of steaming hot and tasty soup. 
 
I add any veggies that are lurking in the bottom of the fridge and a spoonful of garlic or chilli flakes, this alters the flavour slightly each time and keeps things interesting.  Making it at the start of the week and keeping it in a couple of large jugs in the fridge, it means that I can have a warming bowl of soup for lunch in amongst the sorting and packing, and taken to work in his 'soup mug' Lovely Hubby can zap it in the microwave and have one too.
 
Simple food at it's best.
 
So we are literally eating for pennies, the only drawback is it's not emptying the freezer as quickly as we would have liked and there is still quite a bit to eat our way through.
 
Sue xx

10 comments:

  1. You've reminded me that we have some of this soup mix. I am still totally in love with leek and potato soup, but I must get this other stuff out and make some soon! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leek and Potato is our alternative soup, I am determined to use up my leeks before we move. or at least as many of them as we can.

      Delete
  2. I've never thought of making soup just using the soup mix - I always add a scoop of it to any soup I make to bulk it out though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tasty eaten this way you can taste all the component parts, as long as you make it with bouillon mix or a good quality stock cube or two :-)

      Delete
  3. You can't get a more straightforward (or frugal) recipe than that. Oooh - I can almost smell it cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds good what a bargain for the vegetable boullion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy I just love homemade soup. You can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love soup this time of year and I have lots of dehydrated vegetables and even chicken in my food storage so it's not only cheap, but very easy to make a pot of soup. Pair that with homemade bread and you can't get a finer winter meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made some chicken stock & threw in heaps of past their best veggies. It's made a lovely soup which will soothe our sore throats !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought some of that soup mix but have not used it yet. How long do you cook it for?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.