Tuesday 27 August 2013

What Do You Usually Expect to Find in Your Watering Can?


What do you usually expect to find in your watering can?  Well in mine there's usually water ... I like to fill them the day before especially if I'm using tap water, to let it sit and be at the same temperature as the plants and soil that I'm going to be using it on. Occasionally it's a tomato food mix or 'worm tea', or now and then 'nettle juice' that I've made myself, on occasion it's fresh air when I've been to lazy to get ready for the next day.
 
What I'm not used to finding is a little frog, sitting waiting to leap out of the spout!!
 

 
Lovely Hubby spotted our little amphibian friend first.  The watering can was under the kitchen window and as LH went past to get to the Manshed he spotted a little nose peeking out, at first he thought it was the edge of a beak and thought a little bird had somehow ended up in there, but a closer look proved it to be a little frog. 
 
He, being a true Bloggers husband, shouted out "come out here quick ... and bring the camera".

 
We carried the watering can over to the pond, so the dogs or cats wouldn't catch our little watering can sitter as he popped out and LH carefully began tilting the can (it was half full of water) so that he could pop out gradually ...

 
... and then with a bit of a swoosh he was out.  Not at all surprised by his gentle eviction.

 
He was a gorgeous little thing.  We can only assume that he had leapt into the watering can for whatever reason and had managed, thanks to the water level to get himself onto the base of the spout on the inside and gradually work his way up.  Poor little chap, a lesson to me there I think and from now on ALL my watering cans will be either covered at the top over night or left on their sides for little creatures to explore and escape from.
 
 
Still at least this lovely little boy is safe and well and back near the pond.
 
(How to tell the difference between Frogs and Toads.)
 
Sue xx

15 comments:

  1. Too cute. I love the bland look on the face like being tipped out of a watering can is an everyday occurence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute frog! This summer my son has really enjoyed spotting frogs, often when we're watering they hop out from behind a plant but not from the watering can itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    He'll be doing it again.His own water park for free!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I can just picture a little line of Frogs from pond to patio all waiting for their turn :-)

      Delete
  4. Lucky he was small enough not to get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so cute, in a froggy sort of a way. I've seen a couple recently, so I followed someone else's advice and made yet another tiny pond in my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet, we rarely see frogs as our cat gets them first! We do find the odd snake though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a lovely moment to share..all 3 of you! No seriously, a nature gift, just wonderful. Like you, Mr Sft and I would have loved it.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's lovely, well saved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't he lovely
    I am surprised that your chickens didn't eat him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are well away from the pond, over in Chicken World thank goodness. I couldn't have them eating such handsome little chaps :-)

      Delete
  10. oh he is very cute ! I only get snails in my watering cans !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh he is a sweetie :)
    My jack Russell Jake is petrified of frogs! So he would have been well away from anything involving frogs! (Or water come to think of it:). )

    Rw

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've got load of frogs at our place! unforunatly the last one I saw jumped into one of the chicken pens and that was the last jump he ever made.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.