Sunday 10 December 2017

Back to Oats


I've come back to oats.

Well it's the time of year for a tummy warming bowl of porridgy goodness to start the day.  I recently gotten into the habit of leaving a couple of scoops of oats soaking in water in the fridge overnight, this makes the oats creamy rich in their own right without the need for lots of milk. As you can see in this photo they swell nicely and absorb all the water, meaning they are all soft and ready for a quick cook.


Which means every morning all I have to do, is to get it out of the fridge so it can come to room temperature while I sip bleary eyed at my first coffee of the day.  Add a splash of my favourite almond mylk, give it all a good stir and breakfast is a four minute blast in the microwave away.


It keeps me full until lunchtime and stops me getting the nibbles mid morning which my previous couple of slices of toast were doing.

What's your favourite Winter breakfast warmer?   Alan's is still two poached eggs on toast.

Sue xx

13 comments:

  1. Porridge here too, but I use coconut milk and add some frozen berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porridge, definitely, or baked oats as a treat.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, just had my porridge with chopped banana, watching the snow fall outside the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like porridge but it's the only breakfast that leaves me hungry about an hour or two later. Which is very odd as other people are always filled up by it. So I stick to toast or cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Sue it doesn't fill me up. I know it's bad but I often out breakfast off until 11 and then have poached eggs, the protein is my saviour. I have porridge as a small dessert sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy my porridge with some elderberry syrup, but unfortunately like Sue and Tania above, I find I'm hungry again within an hour or so. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. On week days I have overnight oats. Oats, chia seeds, frozen blueberries and some non dairy milk. I leave it on the counter overnight so it's room temp in the morning. I don't like a cold breakfast! At the weekend I have proper porridge made with water and add honey and nuts once cooked. I add nuts and seeds to oats because I also get hungry again within an hour or so!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The problem with oats filling you up has always mystified me as like others I find myself hungry. I have found the trick for me is to add some yoghurt to the seeds and fruit, so I guess it's the fat/protein in the yoghurt that keeps me full. Just eaten mine a short while ago and am now feeling toasty warm. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  9. For many years, day in and day out, whatever the season, I have had porridge for breakfast. One of the reasons for this is that when I was commuting to work for a busy job I needed something quick to prepare: 2 scoops, milk, 90 secs in microwave. As I like routine I still do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have porridge every morning throughout the whole year. Soaked in semi-skimmed milk overnight in the fridge, mico-waved for two minutes and maple syrup added. Like some of the others also, it doesn't suppress my appetite and I still eat pickies before lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get into the habit of soaking overnight, but I keep forgetting. When it's bed time I just want to crawl under the duvet. Must try and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weetabix with hot milk 6 days a week, year round. Sunday is usually some kind of cooked breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We do enjoy porridge, but most days I do a cooked breakfast; bacon, fresh little Santini tomatoes & like you, our own eggs, done on bake-o-glide on the simmering plate of the Aga; the former done in the RO. Keeps us going "till about 3ish, then we raid the home baking tin!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.