Saturday 2 December 2017

And So It's December


And so it's December ... how did that happen? 

This year has whizzed by so quickly that I am determined to make the most of this, the last month of 2017.  Every year for the past few years I have done a 'Reverse Advent', sorting out things to donate to charity shops each day and giving things away.  This year I  am have gone traditional and we each have an advent calendar, me the all singing, all dancing M&S make up and toiletry filled  calendar ...


... and Alan his favourite chocolates.
Allowed as they are obviously on ration to one a day.

We are obviously doing our usual donating to charity during the Christmas season in the form of cash in collecting boxes, helping specific homeless people and always, always, always dropping food in the Food Bank trolleys that we see in all sorts of shops at this time of year.  But it's a quieter donating, and this year each day for us starts with a treat .... which I find automatically gets you in a giving sort of mood.

Soon it will be time to dig out the Christmas decorations which we traditionally put up on our wedding anniversary  (4th December), but todays December task is to empty the Sealed Pot and see what our money situation will be for next years Challenge.

December ... the last month of the year and a time to think of others, yourselves and the future.

How did your month start?

Sue xx

16 comments:

  1. The Prof wanted an advent calendar ..we got a cheap one one and could open its windows today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our permanently open but not allowed to touch pot, gave us enough meny for 3/4 of the presents. Food saving has given us enough for a few extras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That calendar looks a real treat - I haven't been to any chain shops yet for a look - been too busy decorating - so have missed all the Christmas goodies so far other than a few local ones to our cottage - mum is down next weekend so we will be hitting the main shops then (if there is anything left!) - not that I need to buy much but I like to look.
    Can't wait for your big reveal of the 'Money Pot'
    And happy anniversary for the 4th - have a lovely day. Viv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you both. My husband and I also had chosen December 4th for our day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine started with finishing my Christmas card, a list and your nice post.
    Happy Anniversary to you both.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'll take our sealed pot to the coin machine next week. Congrats on you anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The can't bring myself to use those machines. It take so much control and effort to do mine. I count it myself rather than let them have my pennies.

      Delete
    2. i just did it this morning and we got $88.78. No fees at our credit union. :)

      Delete
  7. I also handed my reverse advent in to our local tesco for our local food Bank as the add an extra 20% to make it go that bit further.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had an advent calendar for years! Now they are all full of stuff and presents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a colleague who with her friend sets up an advent calendar (little boxes like yours) for each other so they don't know what they're getting on each day. Some of the presents are a favourite sweet (e.g. the big purple one from Quality Street), others are photos from a day out or a favourite meal, 1st December one which colleague opened in the office was a photo (which her friend had got from colleague's mom)of her as a baby, complete with suitably embarrassing Christmas hat and a really miserable face on her! Going to copy the idea next year.

    BTW, does anyone know what's happened to Frugal Queen, no sign of her on any media accounts any more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has completely disappeared from social media, blog, twitter etc. No one knows why at the moment. Sad mystery at the moment hope she is ok.

      Delete
    2. Froogs has received so much vile abuse online that she closed all her frugal queen accounts. Such a shame. I'm sure if her followers had known, we would have given the trolls what for

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary, and a very happy and warm Christmas to you both. I so enjoy your blog, and it reminds me to conserve, recycle and live a little more frugally, so you are "doing good" in yet another way! Thanks Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! And thank you for a lovely warming post full of Christmas cheer :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.