Friday 1 April 2016

The Paddy Fields of North Wales



After the rains of last Autumn and Winter and the flooding of the fields across the road we have been thinking about a new crop.

We don't eat that many potatoes and much prefer rice with most meals, so putting it all together ... the flooded fields, a gently draining hillside and the lovely sunny days with the sun shining in just the right direction and after having a good think about it, we are looking to put a couple of Paddy Fields in our paddock and, if we can persuade Thomas to rent us his field for next year, we could expand to the wettest field of them all across the road from the house.

Image result for paddy fields

I can just see us both in our wellies planting and caring for the crops ... I even quite like the hats  :-)

Sue xx

.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Happy April  Fools Day  ;-)

19 comments:

  1. Quite a lot of my garden would still qualify as a paddy field at the moment. Maybe I should go for wild rice though, if you're going to corner the British rice market?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. I completely fell for that one. But April Fool's or not, planting rice sounds a great idea, I really think you should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But surely a paddy field is incomplete without water buffalo! Please tell me you intend to invest in a breeding pair? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're better off planting an orchard of spaghetti trees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well inn of the sixth happinness was filmed not too far from you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe you didn't take me in with this one as I had just visited your other blog. Another good one though.
    Happy April Fools Day 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. I escaped being caught because I remembered the date and your minimalist post from last year! The hat could keep the rain off too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ddin't know that about Inn of the 6th Happiness lololol. Wondering what the climactic reasons for rice not being grown here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sue. Many a true word spoken in jest!!! Just saying, as you have so much rain in your part of Wales. we don't have quite so much down here in Pembrokeshire! Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband had just shown me a headline in the newspaper 'Coloured outside Christmas lights to be banned'. My immediate response was 'WHY' and then I remembered the date. Immediately after I read your blog so I was ready! I think a lot of people in the UK could do the same thing this year after all your rain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first (and only) April Fool joke I have seen or heard. I began to think they must have died out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good to me! You'd have the bonus of all that fertilizer provided by the ewes and lambs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could keep fish (Carp)in the paddy fields too! another source of income if not food for Hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trouble is your reasoning is so perfect you had me convinced to start with! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, good one. Would be good if you really could grow rice in Wales wouldn't it

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.