Monday 8 September 2014

Crumbles - No Spend Day

 
Lots of lovely crumbles, one for tonight and three for the freezer and a tub of crumble topping mix for the future.
 


I started out to make some crumble mix to put in the freezer because I had spotted that the block of baking butter that was in the fridge was nearing it's 'use by' date.  Then I decided that while I had the crumble there and there were windfall apples lying on the grass at the back of the house, and I knew there were some lovely blackberries just begging to be picked in the woodland near the big wood store .... I may as well set to and make some crumbles.
 

 
The crumble mix ready for the freezer before I decided to use some of it.

 
Half an hour later four crumbles big enough for two people.
 
A couple of tablespoons of crumble mix on the top of each and they were as you see in the top picture.  Three ready for the freezer and one went into the fridge ready to pop in the oven while our tea was cooking.  Totally yummy, even more so because the fruit was free and the crumble mix ingredients ..... SR flour, baking butter, a couple of tablespoons of sugar and the same of Muesli and ground almonds ... were all ready sat in my cupboards.
 
 
Now they are neatly sat in the freezer, taking up the space that we had already cleared this week by eating from the freezer and not from the supermarket.  The crumble mix was decanted from the large round tub to a smaller one, the less air you have between your product and the lid of it's container, the less frost develops and spoils the taste of your food.
 
Come back tomorrow for Lovely Hubby's idea of a good blog post, he's asked me to do it for posterity .... I apologise in advance!!     
 
Sue xx
 


10 comments:

  1. Love crumbles!
    Hubbys' post idea sounds interesting........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crumbles, British food at its best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm Yum, I love crumbles at this time of year. We're well stocked in apple, apple and blackberry, and plum crumbles. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE crumble, but don't eat it too often :(

    I'm very intrigued by tomorrows post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting expectantly [but NOT like Kate] for tomorrow's post. I too have spent the afternoon preparing plums and apples for the freezer, having been given a bagful yesterday. Gorgeous autumnal puds ready and waiting for the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of 'baking butter', what is the difference between baking butter and regular butter? The crumbles look delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually baking butter (in my opinion anyway) is just cheaper butter designed for baking with, but this one was a new product from Lurpak that I had a free voucher for. It tastes and looks exactly the same as the block Lurpak but did seem to have a slightly low melting point. Nice enough but not something I would buy for myself. I usually just use whatever butter I have in the fridge.

      Delete
  7. You can't beat a bit of crumble and custard, good ideal with the museli I have a box of the same, will try that next time,x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous - did you precook the fruit Sue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't, it was all so lovely and fresh, I just threw the crumble mix on top and baked it for about 40 mins - it was perfect.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.