Friday 12 April 2013

The Last Shop ........

Pictures from Google Images
 
This is how I felt when I left the supermarket this morning. 
 
In truth I didn't even have a trolley full, but I'm so used to shopping on a small scale that it felt like this.  I was on a mission to get some meat for the freezer for my Lovely Hubby.  My man is a true carnivore and chomps his way through the animal kingdom at an alarming rate (well it seems like that to me anyway.....lol), I guess in reality he's just a normal guy but against my zero meat consumption it seems a lot.
 
I spend a total of £84 from my rapidly diminishing budget but I did manage to get quite a lot of meaty things for my money and most of next weeks fresh stuff too, I am now on a mission to stretch it as far as possible.  All the meat has been individually wrapped and popped into labelled boxes in the freezer.  I want to get around to doing another freezer inventory so I can see exactly what I have got and see how many weeks worth of meals I can make from the supplies.
 
It had better last a while as this is a HUGE chunk out of my £2 House Keeping Challenge money.
 
 
 
Do you always use your own bags now or are you still a carrier bag addict? 
 
I always use my own, I keep them in the boot of the car at all times and have a nifty little fold up one in my handbag for emergencies.  I ask because the guy behind me in the supermarket had loaded all his shopping onto the conveyor belt and then realised he had left his bags in the boot of his car, so just as I was paying he said "excuse me" and squeezed past me to go and get them.  Now I smiled thinking how conscientious of him, but the lady behind him in the queue did not look quite so pleased !!
 
When I've done this in the past I have simply put all the food back into the trolley after paying for it and then filled my bags back at the car, I think it took some guts on his part to actually go and fetch his bags.  I wonder how long the lady behind had to wait?
 
I'm hoping this will be my last big shop for quite a while, just a bit of salady stuff each week now until the growing season kicks in and I have £16 worth of Nectar points that I can use for the next fresh shop, so fingers crossed my housekeeping tin will stay unraided for a couple of weeks.  I may have to resurrect the 'How Low Can You Go Challenge' with the cupboards and freezers being stripped back to the bare bones.
 
This weekend we are off on a very exciting jaunt, to visit a couple of properties that we are hoping to bid for at auction in a couple of weeks.   One of which may, just may be our forever home, one of them would be a 'fixy up' and the other a complete build, both look very good to us on paper, but until you see them in real life it's hard to judge.
 
 Fingers crossed that this time we are lucky :-)
 
Have a good weekend everyone, lets hope the weather is as they say it is going to be .... warmer and a little bit more Springlike.
 
 
Sue xx

22 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing of auction success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I am a vegan in a veggie household and I do all the cooking, I just could not deal with meat it's almost forty years since I ate it and my children never have! Thankfully we are all veggie or vegan! Happy house-hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting time. I love looking a properties and im not even in the market. I even pretend im shopping in Tuscany and go onto real estate sites to visit villas. Thank goodness for virtual tours on the web. LOL I live in Oz, like id be buying a house in Tuscany. Escape to the Country keep my interest in rural properties at bay. Imagine living in one of those little villages with a pub and a post office and green green hills. Just playing around. Id have to go with your husband on the meat thing. Though i have a LapBand so i have to slow cook everything so its soft and moist and breaks down. Certainly makes meals go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the viewings, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy house viewing. Mike is the main carnivore in this house though the youngest boy is a close second. I could happily do without meat & the eldest happily dips in & out of being a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck Sue,
    have an enjoyable weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the auction! We found our forever home last fall after many months of looking. It was exciting and frustrating as well, but we definitely got to know our way around this part of the country, looking at so many properties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the weekend, Sue...hope the auction proves fruitful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the viewings/auctions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy viewing. I hope you find what you're looking for :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed for you Sue, I have 2 carnivores in the house and try to keep the meat cost down as low as possible. Myself I can take it or leave it but never eat more than a about 80gm at any one time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I reuse my bags, have a car boot full of the blooming things!!!! Good luck in your new-home-hunt, if it is meant to be, it will happen!!! Look forward to a full report when you get back!! Kind regards Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just to be controversial here - I still use supermarket carrier bags. I reuse every single one of them to line my small rubbish bin which takes the small amount of rubbish that can't be recycled. Our wheelie bin is emptied every two weeks and there are never more than five carrier bags in it for a family of five. Short of going very radically green indeed, I don't think we could get it lower. If I stopped using supermarket bags, I would still have to buy bin bags. When Ireland introduced its carrier bag tax, it found that its imports of polyethylene hardly changed at all for precisely that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do a mixture of taking my own bags and using store bags...depending on where we are shopping.

    On the meat front, when I fill up the freezer that is always our highest grocery bills. We're all meat eaters.

    Good luck on the house hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. fingers crossed .

    I too use reusable bags and carry a coolbag in the boot for chilled stuff too

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do sound a lot like me! I hardly eat meat and my real man eats as much as he can, the freezer is full of meaty bargains and if we have plenty he still likes to look at meat in the supermarket. We are also considering where to live - various options.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always use my own bags. Sometimes I have to stop the assistant before she swiftly puts my shopping in plastic. It annoys me that they don't ask if you have a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes it's a good idea to stock up on meat.

    We always use our own bags. The carrier bags that we acquire are used by Mr Sft in his van as a bin bag.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  19. And good luck with finding your forever home!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.