It's Spring ... it must be, the sun is shining, although how long for I wouldn't like to guarantee, I have seeds sown in the greenhouse that are coming up after only 4 days, you've just got to love Radishes they give you such hope with their quick growing as well as such peppery goodness, and best of all yesterday it was actually WARM.
Wow, how I've missed the warmth.
So quickly this morning I've got to sort through lots of emails, (thank you to all those of you who sent comments and emails wishing me happy birthday, absolutely lovely to receive), then I have to nip to the sorting office to 'buy' a card that was posted to me with not enough postage, why do they have to do that to you, I would willingly give the postman the money at the door, instead I have to hand over my money at the sorting office AND pay to park my car while I do so....totally NOT FAIR!!
Deep breath - rant over!
Then I have to go and hand over more money to get our little doggies out of the kennels where they were for the weekend while we shot off looking at another property. It's all looking hopeful for the auction on Friday of this week, fingers crossed :-)
Then and only then, if the sun is still with us will I be able to get stuck in with weeding the beds at the front of the house and make a start on sprucing this place up ready for (dare I say it) Summer. The front beds are used as our overflow beds for 'cut and come again' lettuces, herbs and other little bits and pieces that are handy to have right outside the door. This is a picture of one of the beds in August last year, the other is on the other side of the front door and extends aound the side of the house, we planted them with veggies quite late last year as we hadn't expected the deer to eat as many of our veggies over in the Veggie Patch as they did, (we didn't even know there were so many deer here until then).
Usually in Summer the deer are well fed enough not to venture this close to the house for food so our lettuces etc will stand a reasonable chance of survival, and soon we will have the deer defences in place around the Veggie Patch, so hopefully (fingers crossed and fences erected) we will even do better over there this year.
Which would be really good as we need to grow as much as we possibly can because this sign is our new mantra.
We are hopefully from now on eating only real food at least 95% of the time (off the top of my head I can't think what the other 5% of foods would be, but I'm being generous here and giving us some leeway). I shouldn't really have to call it real food if you think about it, it should just be FOOD, and everything else should be called 'fake food'.
Since simplifying our diets there are so many aisles of the supermarkets I don't even go down, saves a lot of time and hopefully very soon I will save even more time in there as I will be back to shopping from the Veggie Patch for our meals and there will be absolutely nothing in packets.
My eyes are currently very open when I am in supermarkets, have you ever took a step back and just looked, looked at the mass of processed, mass produced foods in all their packaging, with all the offers enticing us to buy. Even so many of the 'real foods' have been tampered with in so many ways. Just take potatoes, you can buy them as actual potatoes very cheaply or you can pay through the nose to have them washed for you, peeled for you, sliced for you, mashed for you, the list goes on. Yes, it is brilliant if you have no time in an emergency or there is a genuine reason for needing your food prepared I totally understand that, but when you see folk that are simply buying the prepared foods because that's all they know it's a shame, they are handing over twice, sometimes three times the money they need to for the same foodstuff. Ooops sorry ranting again!!
I better get going and get these errands run, so I can get back to my first love, growing our own food.
I hope the sun is shining where you are.