Sunday 2 September 2012

The Last One of The Year

 
This is Lovely Hubby's 'I'm in the money' look....... good eh!!
 
 
 
We've just got back from our last car boot of the year, we've done eight in total.  That's eight Sunday mornings of getting up at the crack of dawn, to sort out the chickens and give the dogs a run, before driving for 40 minutes to get to the venues and set up our table for 7.30am...... phew thank goodness that is it for the year.
 
Our table today was bitty, bitty, all the last of this and the last of that.  The rain came briefly and we thought that would be it, but after a ten minute drizzle it cleared up enough to fling off the polythene dust sheets and start selling again.  For the final hour we had a 'closing down sale', everyone had a laugh and grabbed a bargain for the grand sum of 20p each.
 
 We did well considering selling at such low prices, by the end of the morning a grand total of £120.  Twenty of it is all ours, bits and pieces from our house and the other hundred is being split half and half with my brother.  Lots of the things we have been selling this Summer have been from the huge sort out we did with Mum of Dad's 'stuff'.
 
I'm going down the week after next to surprise my lovely brother with a little cash bonus, it's added up over the eight boot sales and it's fifty fifty all the way..  He's worked hard for his share too, backwards and forwards to the tip for Mum, lifting and shifting, so it's definitely well earned, as I think our share is.
 
But we have had fun doing the car boots, once you get there and have unpacked whilst simultaneously serving early customers grabbing what they want right out of your hand and fielding ridiculous offers for some of your wares, you can settle back with a well earned coffee and enjoy a bit of banter, a spot of haggling and a good laugh with folk that are there for a bargain but are loving the atmosphere as well.
 
 
 
And of course there are always bargains to be had, my purchases today were these two vegan cook books and.......
 
 


.. a nice fiction book, to sit and read on a Winters evening.  At just £1 each for the cook books and the other for 50p, I'm not really a big spender and it's nice to get a bargain.  Lovely Hubby spent a bit more than me £2.70, but he didn't get to bring his home, he ate it ......not a bad price for a freshly cooked bacon butty I guess, but I prefer my books, I get to have them a bit longer.
 
See you soon Graham with your earnings. I feel a bit sad now, another chapter is closing in our lives, Mum and Dad's house was full of Dad's 'stuff' and now it's clear.  Mum is gradually claiming the space she always deserved, the only downside is the missing piece of our family, I'm sure Dad would approve of what we have done and what we are going to do with the money we have all made from his things.
 
As I helped Lovely Hubby load the truck for the final time yesterday afternoon, there was a single white feather lying by the ramp to the shed, yes we have chickens, and some of them are white, but this was an absolutely perfect from tip to tail white feather lying directly in my path where minutes before there had not been one, and the chickens were firmly behind their electric fencing, think what you will, I like to think it was Dad giving his blessing on our final task.
 
 
 
Sue xx

15 comments:

  1. Hello! Pleased to see you are vegan, I had just started reading your blog from time to time without realizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VC, I'm not actually a vegan, just a simple vegetarian, who is trying to eat more and more delicious vegan food.

      I've virtually given up on milk now, just using a couple of pints of Organic Skimmed each week,down from 16 pints of normal skimmed previously. It's a nice slow journey but so worthwhile, as you must know already.

      Thanks for the comment.

      Sue xx

      Delete
    2. It is definitely worthwhile! I was a veggie for thirty years then went completely vegan one day and have to say it was easy. When you realize how cattle and chickens are treated it's enough to put anyone off dairy and eggs I think. Keep it up you will be vegan before you know it! Keep well! x

      Delete
  2. I'm sure the simple white feather was a sign x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the angels are close whenever I find a white feather or when the robin is close by in the garden - your Dad must be a very special angel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on doing so many car boots this year - I haven't managed one yet!! Still time I suppose :)

    I'm very sure the feather was a sign too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the white feather was a sign Sue. My Dad always said he was going to come back as a robin - there have been many times over the last 17 years that one has appeared either in the garden or down at the allotment when I've really needed to see one.
    Will you be featuring the new cookbooks on your other blog? I would definitely be interested in the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll be featuring it soon. I've had a bit of delay on the current one, owing to something I've been doing!! Back to it tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Love the feather! Also love the 'Del Boy' look your other half sports!
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you found that feather. Really special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All very nice Sue, but were there any tractors?
    Jane x (hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane....you are a tractor addict...Lol!!

      Delete
  9. Definitely from an angel's wing - it happened to me once when I was sitting in our garden talking to a recently widowed friend. There was absolutely no way of accounting for this white feather which appeared on the grass between us - slightly unnerving but actually rather lovely as well.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. You have done well with the car boot sales. I havent been to one this year, I used to like going to them but found that the one I went to was mainly dealers selling cheap new stuff. There are a couple near by, perhaps I will pop along to one before the weather turns.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a sign...maybe he fancied a bacon butty too? x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.