Friday 4 September 2015

Today I've Been Mostly Processing Apples .....


Apples are raining down on us whenever we venture near or into Chicken World.  

We have about five apple trees, it's hard to see where one ends and the others begin so I'm not completely sure of the number.  They lean at impossible angles, ancient and yet fragile.  Because of their age we do not not the type of apple they produce.  But produce them they do and in large quantities.  They are in desperate need of a good pruning and I suspect have been for years.  Once the leaves have dropped this year they will get one.  

Unfortunately, being on a hill and the trees being so tall and awkward to get at  it's almost impossible to pick the apples properly, I have removed those that I could reach and we do have one of those net on a stick thingies, I can't think of it's proper name .... somewhere!!  But even that wouldn't reach as high as we need to go, and ladders are a big no-no on this sloping, treacherously slippy wet hillside.

  So for now I go out and pick up the latest windfalls regularly throughout the day.


I had the apples, I raided the freezer for the last of the bought in bargain ready made pastry that I managed to get hold of recently, and left it to thaw ... I'm sure you can guess what I decided to make.


With the apples all stewed down nicely, some fluffy, some slightly more chunky as you would expect from a pan of mixed eating apples and cooking apples I just had to wait for it to cool down.  And I did, wait and wait and wait ... in the end I gave up covered the bowl up, put it into the fridge still a smidge warm and went to bed.

That was yesterday .... so today I am mostly making ...... Apple Pies.


And did you guess from the title .... today's post was inspired by the guy from 'The Fast Show' who used to pop out of his shed and say 'Today I've been mostly eating .....' and then go on to say a particular food.  One week he said Weetabix and I was in stitches ..... I don't know why, and that's what I think of now whenever I think of him.

Sue xx


16 comments:

  1. oohhh lovely apples and a bit of cinnamon is my favourite combo enjoy those, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder ... I must put some cinnamon in the pies, I love the warmth and flavour it brings:-)

      Delete
  2. I made chutney last year with apples - it was the first time I had made it and was worth all the peeling and chopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy isn't it, just chop and put everything in the pan and boiul and then leave to simmer for hours. It's on my list to do, with the next bowlful of apples that I collect :-)

      Delete
  3. Do you make your own pectin from the skins and cores? I'm really jealous you have five apple trees.
    X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally but mostly I just toss a couple of apples in whatever jam I'm making. The taste isn't always obvious but as you say they add the pectin AND bulk it out nicely for no cost at all.

      Delete
  4. Dear Sue
    Yum - apple pie, apple crumble... I am now feeling hungry.
    "This week, I 'ar bin mostly eatin...yoghurt" I loved 'Jesse's Diets' from the Fast Show.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think of .."I mostly be eating ..Acorns" that made me laugh.
    Lots of apples this year, probably a little smaller than usual because there have been so many competing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look lovely! Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Stick thing" in my family's case is an old wooden washing line prop. Wallops those Bramleys down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been enjoying the last of last years apple sauce with my Greek yogurt. We have friends that have a huge apple tree in their backyard and I get given as many as I will take. It's quite a treat getting free apples as very few fruit trees grow here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother has wonderful apples, and he makes apple cider that is to die for every fall. Wonderful flavor! His wife makes the pies and puts them in the freezer for family get togethers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to emulate your brother and his wife in the next couple of years :-)

      Delete
  10. We've inherited two apple trees with our new house and my eldest is eating bowlfuls of applesauce and homemade granola every morning :)

    Incidentally, in the next couple of months there will be Apple Days all over the UK. They're usually an enjoyable morning or afternoon out (we go to one at Waterperry Gardens near Oxford) and they will usually have an expert who can identify your apples. Ours are Ellison's Orange and one non-species that he suggested we cut down and plant something decent! Typically it's the best producing tree in the garden, so it's staying until we plant a couple more...
    Anyway, I'm not sure exactly where you are, but there's one in Wrexham in October http://www.wales-tourist-information.co.uk/events/item/16621/Apple_Festival.html and I'm sure there are lots more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, thanks for that.

      Lovely Hubby says don't chop down the 'non-species' tree as it's most likely the one that's most acclimatised to your garden, hence the most productive.

      Delete
  11. An orchard I used to pick at used a two-liter pop bottle taped to a stick with a big hole cut in the side to catch the apples, it made it nice to get the big apples out of reach. So sorry about Caldwell....he was such a good hubby xo Janet

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.