Monday 13 February 2012

Busy, busy weekend


This weekend we have achieved  a lot.   I zoomed up the motorway on Friday to spend a day and night with my Mum and Dad,  (Dad is still very poorly and I'm afraid he has to suffer visits from me on a regular basis at the moment, something he does with his usual good humour!) while I was there Lovely Hubby had a day on his own at the house shifting lots of heavy stuff and making a good start on the bedroom painting.  I got back on Saturday afternoon and we had a relaxing evening together, before loading up the truck ready for Sunday morning and a full day of painting in both the bedroom and kitchen.

Although the bedroom looks okay the pale blue walls were cold to look at, very grubby and not really to our taste, we had promised to keep the wallpaper (this was our landlords little girls room and their Grandad had papered it for them, so we assured them it would stay and be carefully painted around).  We did, however, pick off all the butterfly and fairy stickers that covered the blue walls and also had been added to the wallpaper, and sorry girls, but the luminous stars that used to adorn the ceiling are no more!!




So with the wallpaper carefully masked off it was out with the fresh white paint.  With LH armed (and very dangerous) with his emulsion roller, and me armed (rather messily....I do drip!!) with my Satinwood and brush we followed each other from room to room and managed to almost finish both rooms.



Now it's looking crisp and fresh, and this morning I just have to carefully peel off the masking tape from the floor and have a quick tidy up, and then I can move on to this.......




.... the cupboard next to the fireplace in the kitchen.  This is how it looked when we took over the house.




Now I've painted the outside with white satinwood paint....




...painted the wall at the back with emulsion and now it just needs its shelves covered in paper, I have a roll of pretty wallpaper that I got from a car boot sale last Summer that will do just fine.  Then this cuboard will be used to store all my jam pans and things that go in the kitchen that don't get used on a day to day basis, thus leaving room in my other kitchen cupboards for things I need to hand.

I did think of using it as a larder but as it will be situated behind our dining table it will not be as easy to get to, as frequently as I can be found rooting away in food cupboards.



But first I'm doing this.....drinking coffee, eating a couple of posh biscuits from our FM Christmas Hamper and Blogging......just in case you think my kitchen is already very tidy....



... if I pull back the camera angle slightly you will see it is still a real decoraters kitchen!!

Hopefully I'll be back in the next day or so with a shot of the finished and filled cupboard.

Sue xx

13 comments:

  1. How exciting to be putting your mark on the new place. That wallpaper is very pretty, although I think nicer now with the white walls rather than the blue. Looking forward to hearing more about your new adventures in Berkshire (not far from where I used to live!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good.

    Nothing like a lick of paint to make things feel fresh and new.

    It's always been a dream of mine to have a bit of land in the country to keep animals and grow everything possible.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been here five years and I'm still at the painting and decorating, with wood fire and dogs it gets grubby and I'm always at it, I find it makes the place fresh and you'll have a lovely home any minute now - love Froogs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made a good start there you two!
    I like the wallpaper better now it's calmed down with the white paint.
    What a useful storage cupoard too.

    Have a great week.

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is looking good and you are right white paint cheers and brightens any room up.

    Can't wait to see more.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you at the virtual party! No one minded the paint drips at all.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are amazing - you just get on and DO things. Well done, it looks lovely and fresh. You'll have the whole house done in a couple of weeks!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You are both doing so well. I feel so inspired reading your posts Sue!

    So lovely to hear from you.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing like fresh white paint to freshen up anything!! It's beginning to look like home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun ....I love home decorating. Enjoy! Maa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh it makes me realise how drab our living room is because it also faces north with a tree. Even if tree were not there it's still dark.

    I've been threatening to do white but wonder if it's bit stark for my room but it looks wonderfully bright in yours. It's looking so bright and cheerful. You have a really lovely, comfortable looking home, situated in a super place.

    Good luck with your work and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bedroom looks crisp & fresh now - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the larder! Looks like your settling in well...hope its all running smoothly
    Gem
    x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.