Thursday 28 June 2018

Water, No Water, Clutter, Less Clutter - Edited


Posting because I feel like posting.

Enjoy



Yesterday, on the third day of water pouring from our property across the patio and down onto the road into our roadside drain, where it can water no flowers and do no bloody good whatsoever I decided to do a job I had been putting off for ages.

Sort out our HUGE collection of Dvds.

Now Dvds are pretty much going out of fashion so you can pick them up for a song, just £3 each in Asda or Tesco if you wait for a couple of months after release before you buy them.  Even better they go for anything from 20p to a pound at a car boot sale ... although the girl who thought I would pay £15 for the boxed set of the Walking Dead must have confused me with John Gray.  So over the years I have built up quite a collection.

I love to settle down with a good film, and most of my collection are films that I will watch again and again, but they were taking up too much room.  And the clutter-y look weighed me down, yes ... even though they were behind closed doors in the cupboard.



And not just in that cupboard at the top, also in this drawer.



And on this little shelf in the spare room, where I retreat to watch films if Alan is watching rugby.

So I set to, to sort this out while the workmen finally started digging to find  the cause of our deluge.



A couple of hours later all the Dvds from the covers in the cardboard boxes were safely nestled in the little black carry case.


And another couple of hours saw the rest of them following suit.


Now the cupboard is much clearer.


And the only Dvds still in their original boxes are the large boxed sets or the few that I want to stay in their original cases for the information on them.

Oh and the little pink weights did go back in the cupboard ... after I stubbed my toes on them once too often while they waited on the floor!!



Next I did my Cd collection, quite a small one now I use our Brennan and have discovered downloads but still a few I wanted to keep.


Just as I finished the guys found the root of the problem and finally sorted it out.  A manufacturing fault on the blue water pipe.   That teeny, tiny little hole has a lot to answer for.

But it did mean that I got stuck into a job I had been putting off for ages.

--------------------
EDITED

I  thought I would just edit this post to add that although the insurance appointed workmen fixed the leak and managed to restore water to the house, in the process they completely removed a valve they said was faulty ... it turns out this valve was all that stood between us and seriously high and very damaging water pressure.  

We now have no ceiling in our hallway after a deluge from the upstairs toilet.  Thank goodness I'm married to an engineer who cleaned out the valve and replaced it as soon as he got home.  Now we just have to wait for floorboards and carpet to dry out and for a new ceiling to be installed. 

Now I'm away, and poor Alan is at home sorting this second mess out

It never rains ... literally ... but it pours.

--------------------

Don't expect me regularly.
But do look out for me now and again.

Sue xx



26 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you again ☺☺ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you could say about the water that it is an ill wind that blows nobody any good because you have done a job you have been putting off for ages - but itis the growing season for weeds as well as plants and I am sure you have plenty of pressing jobs outside to do. Although if you have heat like we have here (and I believe you do) then you will probably be grateful to be indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get up early to sort out the polytunnel at the moment, and I was out there watering at 10 o'clock last night. It was over 50 degrees in there at teatime. Then I was out again watering the net tunnel and veggie patch at 8 o'clock this morning. Haha ... it's all water at the moment 😆

      I don't enjoy hot weather so any indoor job suits me just fine 😎

      Delete
  3. That's an impressive collection of DVDs! The water is not so impressive - what a pain for you to have to sort out.

    Lovely to get an update. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shame the leak wasn't somewhere it could have done some good. Glad it's sorted. Good to have you back even if it is only temporarily. 🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when you had a similar water problem a while back. So sorry you had to deal with it again but glad to hear it is repaired. Brilliant idea for sorting dvds and cds. We've done that with some of our music and computer cds. It is amazing how much space you save! Great to hear from you! Love to your sweet pets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see your post. Always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy when I se your blog pop up on my reader.
    When the days are so hot (107 here today) I get to do the chores I put off waiting for the hot summer afternoons.
    Glad it is sorted out !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Sue, if only now and again, it's nice to have you back

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing how much shelf space it frees up? I too have a couple of dvd and cd wallets, each hold up to 120 discs. I've a lifelong hearing loss, so subtitles are fab. Not many cinema showings of films are subtitled, so I prefer to wait and pick up the DVDs like you, in charity shops or boot sales. The advantage, apart from cost, is being able to stop for a cuppa or a pit stop, and not miss any of the action :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now and again will be great!! I'm sure that posting every day can become a tyranny.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see you back if only now and then.
    I have just done the same with some of my DVD collection - you can hardly call mine a collection though - only ten DVD's plus a boxed set of Anne of Green Gables, The Good Life and the Royale Family which I call my 'poorly' DVD's as I only watch them if I am off work sick rather than the awful day time TV! It has freed up some space though so I can imagine the impact it has had for you by getting rid of the boxes.
    Glad you have got your water problem sorted - are you on a meter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are ☹️

      It seems like every other bill is a whopper thanks to all these leaks.

      Delete
  12. This post was a treat. Wish I were more easily inspired to get off my bottom and tidy some of my own business!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad any time you post. Water can do so much damage. Glad it was taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job in cleaning up the DVD's. I think I might have to do the same one day very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice surprise to find this post, now I shall have to put you back on my reading list again!
    Thank goodness the water leak is sorted

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Afternoon Sue

    What a nightmare for you both. All that water :-( At least you got some jobs done that you wouldn't otherwise have done.

    Lovely to see you blogging - every so often is better than not at all. It must be such a commitment and in the summer, you are busy with your garden.

    Have a good weekend.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lord, what sort of moron passed themselves off as a plumber, Hope insurance own up and pay up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now and again will do just fine, lovely to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This might be a stupid question but what did you do with all the cases? Do you keep them in case you want to sell them at a later date? I'm curious as I too have millions of dvds that could do with being 'organised' but as I've sold a few in the past to Money Magpie where they need to be in the original packaging I'd then have to store the covers somewhere. I guess though that the ones you kept may never be ones you want to part with. I have a few like that! Nice to see you back again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked if they could go in the recycling, but they couldn't, so unfortunately they went into the black wheelie bin. It made me sad ... but as we only fill this bin about twice a year I will live with it. ☹

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I wondered about recycling too. Now I know! I may follow suit and compress the ones I know I will want to keep 'forever'! x

      Delete
  21. Lovely surprise to see you 'pop' up on my reading list Sue, hope everyone is well x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.