Saturday 22 July 2017

Sorting the Clutter in the Kitchen


I think it was Sally that asked to see a photo of the kitchen after I had put everything back after the electrician had been the other week. So while I was in there the other day I took a few shots for posterity.

Most things went back on the now cleaned and re-oiled shelves ... they are after all in very regular use and I do like to have my bits and bobs around me.  Also all the jars of dried food had to go back because as well as looking nice they give me inspiration at teatime when, after a day in the polytunnel or out on the Veggie Patch, I come into the kitchen and stand looking blankly into space wondering what on earth to have for tea to go with the harvested veggies ... I should get back to menu planning!!

 My worktops will never be as clear as those you see in magazines because I like to have the brewing up stuff to hand ... we drink enough tea and coffee during the day to make this very necessary!!

Everything you see out is in daily if not hourly use ...  and yes sometimes that does include the toaster  ;-)


Taking a step back this is how the kitchen looks now everything is back in place.


But behind the closed doors an even more in depth sorting, decluttering and cleaning is going on, just one cupboard at a time whenever the inspiration strikes ... or while the kettle boils and the toast pops up   :-)

Sue xx

14 comments:

  1. At present, while doing a very similar thing planning my house move, I find your posts inspiring - so thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My counter is never completely cleared either. I like having the coffee and tea handy as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken to doing the small tidy jobs eg the cupboard where the washing liquid etc lives. I went into yesterday and something had spilled so I emptied cleaned it, binned the stuff that's not used and felt very satisfied with my 10minutes work! Then I had a brew. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sue, I love having my food in trasparent jars, too, so that I can see what I have and what we need to stock up on etc. Your kitchen looks lovely. I found that one great help in sorting the cleaning products is using a pocket hanger for shoes on the back of the door, for example in a utility room. It works a treat and you can always see what is where. I'll come back to see more posts :) Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I'll have to re-organize my kitchen space when it is completed as I cannot reach upper cabinets and so opted not to have them. Good luck with future clearing. For me, that has been ongoing though now that I've less coming in it has gotten easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The problem I have especially with kitchen stuff is the minute I throw something away I find I need it! Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love your kitchen. I've been going through our cupboards one at a time to declutter, it really we'd like the kitchen to be redone but that's not going to happen right now, so it's a case of doing the best with what we have xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A kitchen only becomes homely when you have the necessities of life out and in use (hah! you should see mine!!!) I have no room to put stuff away so the breadmaker and the mixer stay out, only swopping places sometimes, or being sidelined when the slow cooker is in use.

    My pulses, rice etc are all in old earthenware storage jars which came with us from Dorset, and they live on an old Dairy table in the back hall.

    I think your pulses and dried goods look lovely on the shelf. Inspiration for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue, your kitchen looks lovely. Love the shelves. Can i ask your advice please? I have the same worktops as you and they were already in the house when we moved in. The are much lighter jn some heavy use areas and was wondering how you clean and oil them to get such an even colour? Thanks in advance. Ju xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first moved in we gave them a very light sanding, then we simply give them a good soaking in Danish Oil every six months. Leave it wiped liberally over the cleared worktops for as long as you can (minimum overnight) and then wipe excess off with a dry cloth.

      Delete
    2. When we first moved in we gave them a very light sanding, then we simply give them a good soaking in Danish Oil every six months. Leave it wiped liberally over the cleared worktops for as long as you can (minimum overnight) and then wipe excess off with a dry cloth.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sue I will get some sandpaper and oil tomorrow and give it a go. Let you know how i get on x

      Delete
  10. Oh dear my kitchen is sorely needing a good de-clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.