Tuesday 27 June 2017

Waste Not Want Not


In a 'waste not want not' moment I took three little potatoes that I found sprouting in the potato bag in the kitchen cupboard over to the polytunnel ....


... and stuck them in a large plant pot full of compost.

I was in a free potato mood as I've just harvested a few meals worth of free potatoes that had grown up in the top raised bed on the hillside.  No matter how careful I think I've been I always seem to leave a few potatoes behind when I dig up a bed, so as we weren't putting anything in this particular top bed for a while, I left them there to do their thing.  Their own thing turned out to be a large colander full of smallish but perfectly formed potatoes  :-)


I was stood at the conservatory door this morning and I thought I saw movement in the chickens food trough.


I did!!

It was this cute little squirrel, he sat there for ages contemplating something before he spotted me zooming in.

Sue xx

13 comments:

  1. Was this a welcome visitor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, most wildlife is welcome here 😊

      Delete
  2. So cute - I expect they like chicken feed - the ones at Centre Parcs love Museli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cheeky wee fellow! When I was out with the dogs this morning, I saw a squirrel and 2 pidgeons sitting on the grass feeding together, they looked like they were having a tea party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our veggie gardening days we usually had one or two potatoes we had missed sprouting again the next year and we always left them - they produced a reasonable crop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness that squirrel..!! We don't have them in Aust and they are just the cutest. I adore our native possums, but many folks don't share my love for them. Are squirrels ever seen as a pest there? I know you love them, but are they sometimes naughty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greys are a pest, and some people hate them. We have a certain level of tolerance here, we both love all our local wildlife ... they ARE pushing their luck a bit at the moment though, they have eaten more of our strawberries than we have!

      Delete
  6. I've got spuds in three rubble bags along the side of the garden - old spuds that had started sprouting so I let them carry on. They look most healthy at the moment and I'm so looking forward to harvesting them in later months.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potatoes sprout in my compost bin (I must have thrown out whole potatoes as well as the peelings). I have a "rogue" potato plant in my veg patch that I definitely didn't plant there. We have lots of squirrels in the garden (seems to be more than previous years). I do feed the birds though so I think they have caught on that there is free food in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must try this, if it is so very easy! Damn cats widdling though a worry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger doesn't widdle in my pots ... thank goodness :-)

      You can stop cats using the toilet in your planted beds by pushing plastic or wooden forks in the ground, handle end in the ground. Or find lots of twigs and do something similar.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.