Friday 24 June 2016

Sacrificial Cabbage?


I have no idea what this is!  

I'm guessing cabbage, but it could also be a Purple Sprouting Broccoli gone mad, a seed fell through the workbench last year and grew in with the radishes, I had no idea what it was by the time it had gotten a bit bigger so I transplanted it to this bed and watched it develop.  Anyway it's been pulled up now and fed to the chickens ... I just wanted to keep them busy and out of the bloody polytunnel for a while so it was a sacrificial offering.  

It worked and they stayed where they should be and had a great feast while I got on with some planting and re-potting with the polytunnel doors open without having to shoo a chicken out every ten minutes.  The sooner they are back in their original Chicken World and have more to do the better, my Veggie Patch and polytunnel will be safe again.  

Knowing how busy my little lot keep themselves makes me feel even sorrier for caged and barn reared birds ... but even my pampered little crew are not allowed to entertain themselves on my veggies!!

Sue xx 

12 comments:

  1. Your 'possible' cabbage reminds me of when I used to walk regularly along footpaths through and around fields in Leicestershire. Green leaves were growing well in one field and I was in the habit of snatching a few leaves as an addition to dinner. I thought it was kale, possibly, or cabbage . . . turned out they were Mangolds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think my hens have such a lovely life - they are out in the fields all day, they have a warm and cosy house at night, they have corn andpellets if they feel like eating them, they have scraps from the table (which they adore) - and in return they give us eggs with golden yolks. A fair exchange I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Project growing things starts for me this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck 😊

      It's a good time to start, everything will romp away with the warmer weather and long days.

      Delete
  4. It looks as if it provided handy shade for the caulis - what ever it was

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure it was a very ancient seed that only grows once every 100 years and the chicken ate it.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, this is definitely in the "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" category, but what about a roll of plastic net that you could roll across the polythene entrance when you want the cool breeze without the hens? Would that work? Nothing too flash... just sturdy enough to give them pause...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a wooden framed wire thingy that we had behind the shed, once I'd found it. It's definitely not flash, but does the job.

      Delete
  7. It looks like one of the Kales I grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it a sprout plant? No sprouts yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never grown sprouts ... hate the little green things :-)

      It's PSB most likely, but for reasons known only to itself it didn't give us any purple sprouting bits just lots and lots of leaves.

      Delete
  9. I would say that it's PSB. Chickens had a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.